Backup slow and not working on Toshiba Netbook

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hugo1234, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugo1234

hugo1234 Registered Member

Hi guys,

I bought a Toshiba NB100 (512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD). Since it has no CD drive, I also bought a USB connected external DVD Writer: Samsung Writemaster. And booting from CD or DVD works wonderful with this combination.

I tried to backup the System with TrueImage using a boot CD from Acronis (I prefer this method as it ensures that Windows cannot affect the backup process).

So I boot from the Acronis CD. There I can select if I want to start the full version or the safe version of Acronis TrueImage.

When I choose "Full Version" I get the message:

"PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 001:1c.1
    Loading, please wait..."

and nothing more happens.

So I chose "Safe Version" and then TrueImage can be started.

I chose to backup the C-Drive which contained less than 2GB of data (just a mere win xp installation with some modifications). After starting the backup a message appears "2 hours" remaining, and it really takes that long to backup just 2GB. The problem is: I selected to check the archive right after creating it and I get the message, that this archive is corrupt.

Also strange is, that the created archive has a size of 9GB!!! I have to say that all archives - on other PCs - which I created with TrueImage are corrupt once they are larger than 4,3GB. I solve that by having them split into CD size chunks (700MB each).

But the questions which remain are: 1. Why does it take so long? and 2. why is the created backup file more than 4 times larger than the data?

I had a look at the BIOS Setup of the Netbook and it is not possible to change the Hard Disc Controller mode between PIO and DMA. Also, as windows does not get started, it should make no sense to alter the windows settings.

Sorry for writing so much. Does anybody have a clue what could be the problem?

Thank you in advance!
    Hugo

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The Acronis rescue CD is Linux and it is very likely does not have good drivers to support your hardware.

If your partition is around 9 GB or a bit more, then it is possible that TI couldn't understand the file system because of the Linux issues and did a sector-by-sector backup of the entire partition, both used and unused space.

Archives should not be corrupt just because they are over 4.3GB.

You can try II. in this link:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

Be careful of the spellings.

If that doesn't work, contact Acronis via their Live Chat which seems to be the best way to get support and they will probably provide you with a .iso file so you can make a rescue CD that better supports your hardware.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hugo1234 and seekforever,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

hugo1234,

Could you please provide us with the exact title of your product? What is the build number of your Acronis software?

Could you please clarify where backup fiole is placed (whether it's on internal, external, or network hard drive)?

You see, if you place the archive on the same partition that you backup, you can experience the program behavior you described. Please check it.

You can let me know the license number via PM, I will provide you with an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting rescue media.

Also, please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report and attach to your post.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. We will check the system for the errors mentioned by seekforever.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.