Backup size as large as original partition ?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pancho, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pancho

pancho Registered Member

Using V10 Home and have no problem backing up a 40gb drive with 2.3gb of info, resulting in a bu of ~1.4gb.

However, on the same pc when replacing the 40gb drive with a 160gb as my backup drive and a 250gb as my primary drive, here's the problem :

My 250 gb C:\ drive has ~152gb primary partition of data. I run a full backup to a destination folder on my D:\ drive that is empty except for system files ( no pagefile.sys or recovery bin). Options set to normal compression, 1.492gb split size and that's it. Estimated size of the BU is ~85 gb.

I run the back up and after 1 1/4 hrs I get a disc full error message ( with 3 min remaining on the progress bar) I check the back up dir and it's 149 gb of tib files!! I've done this 4 times with the same results. It's as if there's no compression being applied at all. Anyone know what's happenning here?

Edit: C\ drive contains OS, program files, applications, etc...not already compressed files like jpg's, mp3's, etc. as mentioned in other posts re backup file size

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Are all the drives NTFS ?

3. pancho

pancho Registered Member

Yes, both drives are Win 2K, NTFS. (as was the 40gb drive that I did the first BU mentioned)

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Try using 1492MB instead of 1.492GB. (That's 1492MB with no comma and no space.) As you click Next, you should see the 1492MB rewritten by TI as 1.457GB. That's the size you want for 3 parts per DVD, and you will know that TI understands the split.

I think TI 10 is doing something odd with the 1.xxxgb value.

If that still give a mess of .tib files, try the backup without splitting the file or by selecting one of the pre-programmed splits.

5. pancho

pancho Registered Member

Thanks, actually that is the way that I entered it. I also tried it with 650mb as well as automatic.
    I think I'll uninstall and go back to ver 8.0.771 and see how that works.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pancho,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download and install the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also perform a disk surface check by issuing "chkdsk c: /r" command from Start -> Run (you will need to reboot the computer for the check to be performed).

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.