Backup script problems with version 15

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by dkump, Aug 30, 2015.

1. dkump

dkump Registered Member

I'm having problems with a script that worked with Backup & Recovery 12 but fails in version 15. I've looked at the scripting manual, but still unable to answer my questions. I'm hoping you can help.

The first problem is "SELECTION PARTIONS ALL" fails with an error. The error is "You are trying to do something with partitions without selecting them". This worked in version 12 and the manual shows it as a valid command. The script (PSL file) has the following commands:
    select disk 0
    select partitions all
    vd_store_item partition
    What else do I need to make this work in version 15? In version 12, I didn't need vd_store_item but need it in 15, at least for one partition.

The second problem is the List(0,-1) statement. In version 12, it would list all partitions for just disk 0. In version 15, it lists ALL disks and partitions. The manual shows it should work like version 12. What command do I use to list just disk 0 partitions?

The next problem is the log file is very verbose in version 15. In version 12, I would just list the output of the statements (e.g. list(0,-1) and print statements. Now it dumps the entire script to the log file. It also lists every command that's executed as well with asterisks in front of each. It's almost like there's a debug setting turned on. I tried the -s (silent) command parameter as well as --cutprogress parameter. I couldn't find a new command to turn this off. How do I get the old style of log information (i.e. command output only).

On a related note, the -s (silent) parameter still dumps the verbose information to the log file, but it suppresses the error messages. I think it should be the other way around.

Lastly, version 12 would let me specify a path for my backup and the name was used for the files in the folder. In version 15, it creates a subfolder under the path based on the /name parameter. Is there a way to not create a subfolder like version 12? Below is my command.
    vd_store /path = "C:\mypath\" /name = "Backupname" /vendor = "PVHD"
    It creates the folder c:\mypath\Backupname\ instead of just c:\mypath.

This has been painful converting scripts from version 12 to 15. Any help is appreciated.

2. dkump

dkump Registered Member

I received news from Paragon and thought I'd pass it on. To fix the issue with "select partitions all", the next command needs to be "vd_store_item disk" (not partition). That's the only good news. The second issue where "List(0,-1)" returns all disks not just disk 0, this was a change made by development in version 15 and cannot be changed. Regardless of specifying one disk, it will list them all. In my mind, this is a bug and doesn't work according to the manual, but they're not going to fix it. The third problem where the log file is full of "debug" lines, this was also changed in version 15 and there's no way around it. This really junks up the log files. Version 12 worked great and now the log is unreadable for simple monitoring. The fourth issue where an extra subfolder is created in version 15 is also by design and you can't change it. Overall, I find scripting in version 15 much worse than version 12. If you do scripting, I would not upgrade unless you have to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.