Backup schemes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pjdevries, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjdevries

pjdevries Registered Member

Currently we are evaluating True Image Server 9.1 for Linux. If we understand the documentation correctly, it is not to possible to create incremental backups against differential backups, which is a pitty as it would allow for more control. The documentation is not clear about the possibility to mix image backups and file archives in a backup scheme. So in fact the question is: can one make a full image backup and then make incremental and/or differential file archives against the full image backup?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello pjdevries,

As far as I know this isn't possible. See this previous thread titled <Important Questions> for details and, in particular, the final Acronis Support reply at Post #19 therein.

Regards

3. pjdevries

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Post #19 does not exactly address my question if it's possible to make an incremental or differential files backup against a full image backup. It merely confirms the fact that it is only possible to make incremental or differential backup's against a full backup, without making a distinction between image or file backups.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well, being the kind gentleman that I am :)D), I have just run a test using TI 9.0 Home Build 3677 and confirmed my previous reply, namely that it isn't possible.

You can create an incremental or differential Files and Folders image against a full Files and Folders image. However, if you attempt to create a Files and Folders image against a Disk/Partition image you are not even presented with the option of an incremental or differential image. TI will merely ask whether you want to overwrite the Disk/Partition image (with a full Files and Folders image I assume). See screenshot below.

Regards

Attached Files:

5. pjdevries

Thanks again and yes indeed, a gentleman you are! :thumb:

I have to admint that I sort of guessed the answer to my question, but it's always nice to give the Acronis guys a run for their money and have them complete the documentation. After all, it costs quite a couple of bucks.

Kind regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.