Backup/Restore via network not reliable?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marty3d, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marty3d

marty3d Registered Member

I have problems restoring backups made via the network. Since validation goes through, I think I need advice.

How do you guys do your backups in order for the image to work properly? Which methods do you think is the most reliable? I would not like to be forced to use the rescue disc everytime, since the meaning of easy, maintenance-less backups gets lost (and it feels like 1992 Ghost all over again).

Thanks for advice!
    /Martin

2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Hi Please can you tell me what do you mean "made via the network"?
    Is this a scheduled backup run under windows to store the backup (tib) file on a network? Or is it a server backing up computers attached to it?

I backup and restore to/fromTIB files stored on a network with no problems.

One method that I use involves the Acronis Boot disk.
    I use a boot disk in the computer to be backed up and save the backup on another computer on the network.
    For restores again I use a boot disk on the computer to be restored. I run the restore and choose the tib file on the network.

There are other methods.

3. marty3d

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried three different setups:
    1. ATI in Windows, full, not scheduled, backing up to a shared folder on another machine running Vista
    2. ATI Rescue Disc, full, not scheduled, backing up to a shared folder on another machine running Vista
    3. ATI Rescue Disc, full, not scheduled, backing up to an external USB drive

The restores I tried was
    1. ATI Rescue Disc using a backup on another machine running Vista
    2. Copying the above backup to an external USB drive, then Rescue disc from that
    3. ATI Rescue Disc using an image original backed up onto an external USB drive

The only thing that worked for me so far was the combo Backup 3, Restore 3.

I am doing a weekly scheduled, incremental backup in Windows, but I haven't tried to restore this one yet.

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I dont use Vista so I cant advise. My network is a mix of Win98, XP, Linux and Macs. I am sure that others can and will help. Good luck. I am glad that you have at least one method of backup working though.

5. marty3d

I'm thinking that the problem with my backups lies in that I do them wireless? I read somewhere that ATI2009 doesn't support wireless backups, but the only restriction I've seen is when you use the Rescue cd.

Anyone else doing their backups using wi-fi?

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You don't need the boot disk to do backups, just to restore system disks/partitions

When ATI backs up it makes periodic checksums and embeds these inthe backup file. Fro validation it reads the backup and recreates checksums and compares to the original check sums. So validation is only a confirmation that the file is unchanged since it was created.

Think of all the things that could make it validate and still not be a good backup and there you are. The mnost likely culprit is the restore program or the linux environemnt it boots in off of the boot cd or from withint windows when you restore a partition--or more specifically, the hardware drivers linux uses. If you contact TEch, you can get a diff iso that has otehr hardware drivers that might work better on oyour hardware.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello marty3d,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

From Windows you can backup/restore images via wireless connection, just make sure you are using the latest build of the program.

If the issue persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat we will do our best to solve it.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.