Backup/Restore not possible with 2.5" HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pallas, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

I use True Image 11, (Build 8027, German) and I had strange problems when I wanted to backup my notebook (HP Compaq 6715b, AMD Turion, running on XP Pro.) on an external 2.5" HDD.
    First I was using an older USB enclosure with an 2.5" IDE HDD inside. After 10 minutes or so, the backup process came to a halt and True Image crashed. After that I tried the same enclosure but with an external power supply and not only the USB power. This time the backup process worked well for 20 minutes but then also came to a halt and TI crashed also.
    Then I took another 2.5" HDD, a brand new S-ATA enclosure. Now I was able to backup my Compaq Notebook.

But some days later, when I wanted to restor it from that S-ATA drive, True Image crashed in the middle of the process. (Of corse, I also wasn't able to do a restore from the IDE enclosure.)
    I hat to copy the .tib-file to a 3.5" HDD, which I had on a USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Connect. Only now I was able to restore my Laptop.
    Did anyone else had such problems?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pallas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify if you encountered those problems when running Acronis True Image from within Windows, or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

Hello Marat

I was running True Image 11 from within Windows XP for the backup. (both IDE and S-ATA)

I wanted to restore my Laptop running True Image from within Windows as well, but after the programm crashed with the IDE drive, I had to use the Acronis Rescue Media to do the restore.
    But also with the Rescue Media I was not able to use the IDE nor the S-ATA 2.5" HDD. Only the 3.5" IDE HDD did work.

Jon

4. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

I just ran a test with a 3.5" USB hard drive (LaCie d2).
    Running ATI 11 from within Windows the Backup works without any problems, also does the restore.

Looks like the problem is: ATI 11 and 2.5" external USB-hard drives. Why?

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I have some iomega portable drives that are essentially 2.5" laptop drives in a case with a usb interface. I don'thave any probslems backing up or restoring from these with ATI 10 or 11.

I only mention this to point out that the problem is not all 2.5" drives.

6. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

shieber, do you use an additional external power supply on the iomega portable drive or only the USB-power?

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The iomega can run off of either. I only use the power off the usb cable. I've tried these on a couple of laptops and a handful of diff desktops setups with ATI 10 and ATI11. Both backups and restores.

When I tried the BootCd to do backup on a Toshiba A205 laptop, it ran so slow, I'm not sure it would have finished in my lifetime. I went into the Toshiba BIOS and turned of legacy USB and that seemed to let it run faster. Then I swtiched to a Vista PE disk and things zipped right along.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I also have two 2.5" external drives and I can restore from either one with just usb power to the enclosure.

9. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

Well then, what could be the problem with my two external USB drives?
    The strange thing is, that they don't work when running ATI from within windows nor running ATI from the boot cd.

To read and write data on these two USB drives is no problem, as long as ATI is not involved...

10. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Can you tell if the drives are spinning up to the right speed? You'll have to have a sharp ear to do this. :cool:

11. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

I think as long as the backup/restore process is running they sound the same as when I write data on to them.
    As soon as ATI freezes, both drives seem to spin on, but at a much slower speed. On one drive the power indicator (LED) starts to blink in regular intervals, whereas it flickers during normal operation. On the other drive it just gets dim, instead of flickering brightly.

12. Acronis Support

Hello Pallas,

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

Hello Marat

I had this Acronis driver (SnapAPI) already installed.
    When I contacted the Acronis Support in Germany, about this backup problem, they sent me this driver. (I switched this forum, because the support in German only works via a support ticket/contact form and reply via e-mail.)

Today I switched off all the autostart items in XP (except for the virus scanner), because I was trying to locate a problem I had with the WLAN.

Later I made a backup using ATI 11 (still all the autostart items were off), and it worked!

I tested both 2.5” USB enclosures, the one with the P-ATA drive and also the one with the s-ATA drive inside, both without the external power supply.
    Now they were both working without any problems!

But what I do not understand: If there has been a problem on my notebook with some files loaded during startup/autostart (right now I didn't had the time to sort out which file caused the freeze of ATI), how come that I had troubles when trying to restore from the two external USB drives, running ATI from the Acronis Boot CD?
    I didn’t run a test to restore my notebook right now, because I can not afford to crash it on the weekend, with no other computer in exchange in case something isn't working.

Jon

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  14. Acronis Support

Hello Pallas,

Please notice that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media operates in Linux environment and uses different drivers.

So, if you still experience problems using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, please do the following:

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo26.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.