Backup & Recovery 14 Home

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by NICK ADSL UK, Feb 10, 2014.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Backup & Recovery 14 Home

Key & New
    Features

pVHD backup format

pVHD (Paragon Virtual Hard Drive) is a special VHD format, optimized for storing backups of virtual and physical machines.

Backup to VD Wizard

Back up separate partitions or entire hard disks to the VHD, VMDK and pVHD formats.

Smart Backup Wizard

Quickly backup these files and folders: My Documents, My Media Files, My Email Folders. Easily secure valuable data without additional configurations. You can leverage sector backups for the same purpose by creating archives of whole partitions (with all redundant data).

Incremental disk imaging

Unlike differentials, increments may not only contain data changed since the time of creating a full archive, but one of its increments as well, thus allowing to save more time and the backup storage. With this type of disk imaging method our company has introduced an innovative technology that boosts efficiency of backup to the network storage up to 200%.

Backup and Restore to or from FTP/sFTP

Offload backup images to offsite storage for an even higher level of protection if disaster strikes. Get your OS and data back on track even if other backup storages and media are unavailable. Using sFTP, the data transfer to the external server will be protected and encrypted.

Hot Processing Options

Live backup is a key feature for any backup software. The product has a highly flexible, improved configuration for two different methods of hot processing: Paragon HotBackup and Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Incremental Backup to VD

Back up changes since the full, or the latest incremental image. It's allowed to maintain several incremental chains based on one full image, provided each chain contains changed data of a particular backup object(s). pVHD based incremental imaging works much faster and rock-stable in comparison with the old PBF format.

GPT/uEFI compatible Backup Capsule

Build a WinPE-based bootable backup capsule for your 64-bit Windows system resided on GPT to successfully start up PC from it in case of emergency.

UIM (Universal Image Mounter)

Mount pVHD backup images to browse their contents and retrieve data both, in the program and directly under Windows OS.

Cyclic Backup

“Set and forget” backup policy that performs regular backups and automatically manages them. Simply set the desired number of stored backup checkpoints, or the maximum space allocation allowed for storage, and the program will automatically manage regular backups based on those conditions.

Encrypted Backup

To avoid unauthorized access to your backup files, you can easily encrypt them within our backup wizards.

Improved write-operations by using asynchronous backup

Improve the speed of the backup processing by using asynchronous writing operations.

Updated Email notifications

Paragon Backup & Recovery can inform you about the status of your backup tasks by sending e-mails. When configuring the SMTP server, easily check whether the configuration works by sending a test e-mail.

Scheduler and Script Generator

Chain any set of operations into one job to automate the routine with built-in scheduler. Script generator offers advanced scripting options like remote and conditional execution, subroutines, repeatable iterations, disk/partition properties analysis, error management, and much more.

Recovery Features

WinPE Recovery Environment*

Up-to-date version of Windows Pre-installation Environment (WinPE 4.0) provides a wider support of hardware configurations and has the ability to add third-party drivers on the fly if your hardware is not supported by default.

Boot Corrector

Powerful utility that recovers the operating system’s startup ability. Available in Linux, DOS and WinPE* environments.

Selective Restore

Extract individual files and folders from an archive without restoring an entire image. Use the Restore Wizard and simply check the files that you’d like to restore.

Restore from VD Wizard

Restore entire hard disks, separate partitions, or certain files and folders from pVHD (available under Windows, WinPE*, and Linux).

Updated Recovery Media Builder

Prepare either Linux or WinPE-based bootable environment on a USB thumb drive or in an ISO file. Unlike Boot Media Builder you don't need to have Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) or Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) installed in the system.

Paragon Adaptive Restore 3.0

The latest Adaptive Restore helps you restore your system backup onto completely different hardware from which the backup was made, or migrate your operating system from your old to your new computer. All required drivers will be added smoothly and easily, making your operating system bootable on your new machine or on the altered hardware.

Partition alignment for bare metal restore

Partition alignment during restoring to new hard drives ensures that there will be no performance loss due to incorrect partition alignment.

Better Network support for WinPE Recovery Environment*

WinPE recovery environment* can easily establish network connections within your private network. If you store your backups on a network attached storage (NAS) or on a different computer in your network, you can easily access the backups directly from the Paragon recovery environment.

Migration Features

Copy partition or HDD

Create an exact clone of a separate partition or an entire hard disk.

Migrate OS to dissimilar hardware

Migrate existing systems and make them bootable in a new hardware environment.

Copy/Restore to dissimilar sector size

Copy or restore contents of a 512-byte hard disk to a 4k hard disk with no additional actions from your side.

Improved file exclude for Copy HDD

Easily exclude selected files and folders when copying a partition or a complete hard drive to a new device. This is especially helpful when you migrate to an SSD that provides less space than your former hard drive.

Latest Software and Hardware Support

Support for Windows 8.1

Accomplish any operation under Microsoft’s new operating system Windows 8.1

BitLocker Support

Work with volumes encrypted by BitLocker.

Improved Support of GPT disks and MBR > GPT conversion

Backup and restore GPT disks and single volumes without any restrictions. Easily convert your MBR formatted hard drive to GPT without data loss.

Support for uEFI configurations

Clone, migrate, or restore a 64-bit Windows configured to the uEFI-based boot mode.

Full Storage Spaces Support

Copy, back up, restore Windows Storage Spaces directly in our program.

Support for USB 3.0

Manage external hard drives more effectively by using all benefits of the USB 3.0 interface.

Complete uEFI Support

Full 64-bit uEFI support and support for 32-bit EFI with Legacy boot.

Support for the latest HDD standards

Enjoy support for AFD (Advanced Format Drive), 2TB+ and non-512B sector size drives.

P2P Adjust OS in Linux Recovery Environment

Adjusting a Windows physical system to boot on a different hardware platform (P2P).

User-friendly interface

The user interface is now fully compatible with the Windows 8 streamlined, tile-oriented interface, offering a Metro-style Express Launcher and a ribbon-based full scale launcher.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It´s not clear what are the criteria to enable some functions in this product and others in Hard Disk Manager. It seems almost a random assignment between the two. There should be only one product. Confusing.

3. gary777

gary777 Registered Member

I agree Robin, I have the old Paragon Back Up 2010 on my xp desktop machine and love it. I got this new Dell W-7 preimum insprion laptop I am using now, and need to get a Bu program. I looked at Paragon Back Up and Recovery 2014 & Hard Disk and was confused also.

I download the free version of Paragon Back Up and Recovery 2014 on an old xp laptop soon to be retired, it is nothing like the older 2010 version, there are a lot of features to work with Virtual Drives. Anyway I created an image using the Free 2013 version and could only do it on a VD, something I never worked with before, I guess I should have read the manual, but I did glance through it and was lost. Anyway it did work, as far as making an virtual image, I did move a few photos around using it. As for the paid Disk Manager I will probably end up getting that. I think it will create both a regular snapshot and image on a VD. Oh yeah, they use terms like virtual containers, I have no idea what they are. That being said, on my old XP desktop it (Paragon version 2010 B&R) did save me. My HDD crashed, I replaced it with a new one, ran a boot disk and image restore, everything went perfect. That is what is swaying me. I think most programs use VD's, So I am going to stick with what has worked for me before. You can take a look here and see the differences. I read them but really did not understand most of what I read, let me know your opinion.

You could DL the free version and just move files around and see how you like it...

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/comparison.html

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In HDM 14, it´s possible to use the traditional .PBF image format. I suppose this is also possible in the other "14" programs. So, if you don´t find advantages in using the pVHD format (I don´t), you can stick with the .PBF, at least for the time being.

5. gary777

Ah, that's the word I was looking for .PBF also like the file transfer wizard on 2010. Those are the two most used features I use. I may clone my HDD with the HDM. The only problem when using the .PBF & clone feature, is there really is no way that I know of, to know for sure, if everything working until you need it.

Guess I could experiment on my old xp laptop

6. gary777

I want to what HDM 14 is like. I see Demo & 30 day trial. What are the differences between the two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.