Backup quota location not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mgsylvestre, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgsylvestre

mgsylvestre Registered Member

When my backup disk gets full, True Image 11 (and 10) does not recognize this and I get a disk full error. How do you get this feature to work?

Regards,

mgsylvestre

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I like the automatic backup management so well that I put up with it's annoyances -- that plus none of the other backup/imaging programs seem to have the facility at all.

One or another of several things is most likely to be at play here. They can be divided into "Normal Operation" and "Waht the Frig?"

Normal Operation:
    1) When ATI uses Backup Locations, ATI creates a backup, then tests the limit rule(s) and deletes accordingly. Therefore, if you have a limit of say 10 files and 10 backups are already in the Backup Location, then there must be room for one more backup (an 11th backup file) for ATI to create another backup and then test the limit and delete the oldest "extra" backup file. Thus, if there is not enough room for an additional backup, you'll get a disk full error.

"What the Frig?" Operation:
    2) Sometimes the Backup Locations/Tasks go woncky--There's no other way to describe it -- they work fine for a while maybe and then go wonky or maybe don't even work right form the start. Try recreating the task -- that usually does it. If not, try creating a new Backup Location (you can copy over the existing backups from the old Backup Location after you make the new one). If your Backup locations or Tasks have gone woncky, after recreating a task or creating a new Backup Location, make a Task that backs up only a few files and use that to test. You can then run the task multiple times in a very short time. If it works okay, you are probably home free and any newly created Backup Locations and Tasks will work.

3) If the above don't solve the problem, then doing a repair install is probably called for, which will fix most errant registry entries or mislocated or damaged ATI program files. Hey, the registry or program files couldn;t ever get mangled on a Windows machine could they? ;-)

4) One last thing that can screw things up here is if an Internet Security Program is blocking one of the ATI exe files or dll modules -- so be sure that you have the following on the Allowed List in your Security Program:

Trueimagemonitor.exe
    Trueimage.exe
    TimounterMonitor.exe
    Spawn.exe
    Schedul2.exe
    Trueimageservice.exe
    Trueimage notify.exe

The typical locations are:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

5) If something really screwed up the Windows registry for ATI, then as a last ditch step, you can try uninstalling, clearing out form the registry anything with Acronis or Trueimage in it and deleting and Acronis directories, then reinstall. Note, depending on what you delete under Documents and Settings\All Users\Applicaton Data\Acronis, your old Backup Locations and Tasks probably won't work anymore and you'll need to make new ones.

6) If by slim chance that doesn't work you can contact Tech support who will probably tell you one or two of the above, or, more likely and totally obnoxious, they will ask you to create sysinfo files from within Windows and from the BootCD -- (Note that the instructions for creating a sysinfo file form the BootCD don't work on many machines and are a pita -- I'm pretty sure Acronis gives out this the sysinfo instruction just to deter contacts to Tech Support. It works. So, if by slim chance 1) through 6) don't fix things for you, I recommend demanding a refund because the product does not perform the basic functions for which it was offered for sale. And finally,

7) If you get as far as the 6th step above and that doesn't bring you, if not a working program at least peace and justice, then contact the Attorney General's office in your state (assuming you live in the USA) and ask to file a fraud complaint -- you can probably do this on-line.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  3. mgsylvestre

mgsylvestre Registered Member

thank you for a useful (and funny) response.

Regards,

mgsylvestre

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, first you have to decide if the glass is half full or half empty. And then try to figure out if it contains water or poison. As the old saw goes, "Optimists are generally unhappy folk because they face so much disappoitment in life."

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If the contents is alcholic I will empty the glass to end the argument. Pessimists prepare for the worst and we are never disappointed.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.