Backup Programs

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Phazor, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Looking for input on good backup programs to use for backing up folders and files, Free or Pay.

Whats everybody using ?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't have very much on my computer so I don't use a dedicated back up app. What I do Is to burn an image of my system With nero, That way I don't just back up a few files and folders but the whole system. This is one option you might want to explore.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I really like STOMP Backup (http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp). Allows me to schedule an automated backup of my entire home network at night while I sleep. :) I only backup document folders, though. In my opinion if the hard drive fails, I can reinstall the software. It's the data I can't afford to lose. Been using STOMP for a couple of years. See this site for recommendation: http://www.forrelease.com/D20030604/sfw062.P2.06042003125651.27410.html

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Phazar -

Alot of people like to use StuffIt, or WinRAR for archiving, file compression. I dont think they are terribly expensive, a wild guess would be 30 bucks. I think they both offer the ability to send an encrypted file that does not require software on the recieving end to decrypt (just a password). I am more familiar with WinRAR. More people that I know use it. WinRAR, probably both, allow you to add a recovery file. It is a good feature. for the price of about 1 to 3 percent less compression the recovery file is able to restore a corupted file. This is actually the feature that made me finally understand why people use it instead of basic zipping. It has saved many files of mine, and especially emailed files. Stuffit claims to have the most efficient compression. Well, I can't argue that point, but i wonder if the figures they use are much more reliable than the ones used by marketers of defragmentation programs, scanners, and printers.

My vote is for WinRAR

- HandsOff

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I like the sound of your Nero burn system Bigc....explain please....

Cochise, :cool:

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

For making a backup-image of your whole system:

Acronis TrueImage
    or
    Symantec Norton Ghost

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You just have to open the nero software to the back up option and check the box on what you want to back up. I use the nero 6 ultra. there are other ways to back up but for me this is the way I prefer to do it. see screen shot to view options of what you can back up. you can choose a single file or an entire drive.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.