Backup procedure???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bpbp00, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

I get the impression from the Acronis site that I can do the following:
    Drive C: 200 gig (50 used) Operating system and data
    Drive D: 200 Gig - Empty
    I want to schedule a backup everytime my system boots up. I want to backup the entire C drive to D.
    I want a maximum of 3 backups on D.
    I want the backup program to NOT remove the 1st backup. I want it to create a 2nd backup with a different name. Same for third backup.
    On 4th daily backup, I want the oldest backup to be removed and replace by the 4th backup.... etc. etc. etc.
    When I schedule the backup, it works fine. The 2nd time it REPLACES THE ORIGINAL. NOT WHAT I WANT - ANY HELP!!!o_O

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You could create your first"original" backup to it's own location and it could be left there in isolation. Then schedule your FIFO backups or whatever you require to another location.

Xpilot

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bpbp00,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that you can use Xpilot's suggestion and create two separate folders:

- one for the very first image archive that you do not want to be deleted;

- another one for the rest image archive.

Then you can setup a scheduled task to back up your system and store the image archive to this second folder. If you wish to back up your system on startup you could set option to execute "When my computer starts" for the scheduled task.

You could also use incremental or differential image archives that usually took less disk space than the full image archive. Please have a look at this article describing the difference between incremental and differential image archives.

We might also like to use automatic archives management function provided by Backup Location. You can take a look at this previous post of mine where I described one example of using backup location with its automatic management function. You can more information about Backup Location in chapter 3.5 "Acronis backup locations" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 HomeUser's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. tcgass

tcgass Registered Member

Hi Aleksander

having exactly the same questions/problems, your anser was very helpful for me. Unfortunately I can't find the backup policy option "Create a new full backup after...". How can I access it? I have version 10.0 (build 4871) installed, but this option never shows up when setting up new tasks...

Thanks for your support

Thomas

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tcgass,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that backup policies are available when you schedule a backup task to create image archive to backup locations only. I would recommend that you have a look at this thread providing the instructions on how to use Backup Location.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.