Backup problem to dvds/ images corrupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Constantine, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constantine

Constantine Registered Member

I would dearly like to know if anyone could tell me how to backup to dvd via the product itself (True image version eight) with the recommended software, in this case Nero.

I have formatted the disk as recommended in the FAQs, backed up to dvds only to find that when trying to recover the image archives that an error message comes up telling me that that the images are corrupt and therefore a recovery is not possible and this is also true when trying to explore the archive images. I have also attempted to try it via unfomatted disk in the event this may of been the problem, and I simpley recieve a error message telling me that a backup was not possible due to the fact that the disk may be of poor quality, which would seem to tell me that the disks have to formatted in order for the backup to be made to the dvds.

Any solutions would obviously be appreciated or even what the problem is.

yours Hopefully

Constantine

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Constantine,

Yes you need to use DVD RW media that has been pre-formatted using your InCD. This <previous and subsequent post> of mine may help you to overcome the problem.

If all else fails try a different make of DVD disk that matches/exceeds the write speed of your burner. Personally I swear by Verbatim media, which I've found provides consistently reliable results.

Regards

3. Constantine

Thank you very much Menorcaman for your reply + much appreciate your time to answer, I have tried again and followed to the letter your instructions and the one's that are given in the FAQs:

"How can I use Acronis True Image 8.0 to write the images directly to DVD disks?
    Acronis True Image 8.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disk in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed, and the DVD disk is formatted. We currently support the following packet DVD-writing software:

Roxio Drag To Disc — an optional part of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator
    Ahead InCD — is available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users (and usually is shipped with Nero)
    Veritas DLA and all its OEM versions (e.g. HP DLA)
    Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD
    In general we also support other UDF packet DVD-writing software, but the three above are most popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.

To make the DVD disk writeable in Acronis True Image, the user should do the following:

Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
    Format the DVD disks. DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks can be formatted by any of the applications mentioned above, while DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.
    Next, start Acronis True Image 8.0, insert the formatted DVD disk into the DVD+RW or DVD-RW drive and create an image.
    The images from the DVD disk can be restored both in Windows and when Acronis True Image 8.0 is started from bootable disks.
    There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image 8.0 can create an image of the hard disk as a single file on the hard disk itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software to the DVD. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to 2 GBytes on the Image Archive Splitting screen, as generally the maximum size of a file stored on DVD is 2 GBytes. The Acronis rescue disk will also be able to restore this file from the DVD if necessary."

However I still get the same results regarding the error message once the BU has been made to the dvds, I can pick on any of the image archives on the dvd and acronis will initialize and give the error message that the "Image archive is corrupt" but least it recognizes that is a Acronis image, unfortunately that is it.

I even tried turning of the IMHO service which was a solution given in 1 of the links you attached in your answer to me, unfortunately this didn't help either I still had the problem error message that the image archive was corrupt I am now at a loss as to what I can do regarding this issue and would appreciate any other possible solution you may know of.

Yours Hopefully

Constantine

4. Menorcaman

Hi Constantine,

Thanks for the PM. Just a few other things for you to think about:

- The latest version of InCD is 4.3.0.5. Update yours if need be.
    - What is your DVD burner's maximum write speed for DVD-RW and DVD+RW? Ensure the speed rating of the DVDs that you're using match or better that of your burner.
    - Are you using good quality DVDs rather than cheap bulk purchase media? If not try a different brand.
    - Some DVD burners are supplied with a utility to temporaraly reduce its write speed. If yours did then use it prior to creating an image.
    - Visit your DVD burner manufacturer's web site and check whether there's a firmware update available for your model. However, I would be wary of flashing your burner's firmware unless you feel confident of success!!

Other than this, I'm right out of any further ideas.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  5. Constantine

Constantine

Hi Menorcaman and thank you again for the prompt reply,

DVD wise I am currently using PrimeDisc + RW. My burner is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D DVD±R/RW which will burns RWs at 4x and good quality standed DVDs at 8x given that they are formatted for burning at 8x but this doesn't really come into this particular problem/ equation. I have checked to see if my InCD is up to date and it is (4.3.0.5). There is a small issue with my firmware however in so much that I can not update the firmware and have contacted Pioneer about this, it would appear that the people to whom I brought the burner off have preinstalled there own drives, which is pretty daft really since I can't flash my firmware without some prior knowledge off how to completely flash out the present drive in order to upgrade the firmware (and in truth am not in favour of this anyway because of the risks involved; normally the firmware comes as an executable and automatically flashes the previous firmware whilst installing the new firmware at the sametime so this would not have been an issue. My current firmware is 1.05 and I know there have been many updates since but I still fail to see how it would effect my current problem. Last and not least I'm not so sure about this question:-

"Some DVD burners are supplied with a utility to temporaraly reduce its write
    speed. If yours did then use it prior to creating an image"

So anyway if you can detect anything that might be causing my problem from the information I have given you... great!!, if not thank you very much anyway for your time and effort and this is definately not the end of the world and I'm sure there is an answer out there someware.

If you have no answer to this I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how the image is being written to disk, especially as the images recorded to disk read as TI archives...or is this just windows explorer hoaxing me..illusion even. Ha-ha

Kind Regards,

Constantine

6. como

como Registered Member

Try using the two step method and burn the images to a sepate partition or hard drive then use the image check facility to check the images before burning to dvd

This way you should be able to check whether it is your dvd burner thats causing the problem

7. Constantine

Thank you my friend and ironically this idea has been floating in my head for the last couple of hrs...so off I go.

Regards,

Constantine

8. Menorcaman

Hello Como & Constantine,

Having created an image to the HD, choosing to split it manually at 635MB or 1.9GB (preferably the former), and then used TI's image check facility, I suggest you use InCD to drag-and-drop the .tib files to an InCD formated DVD RW rather than burning them as a Nero DVD ROM (ISO) compilation. As this uses UDF packet writing, I reckon it's a little more representive of what happens when TI creates an image direct to DVD.

Regards

9. Constantine

Ok gentlemen a small discovery the image archives made to the HD are not corrupted, I am able to verfiy, explore, unplug etc, so if I am to go by this something is obviously going pear shaped in the recording to disc. In all honesty this little test I should have done to begin with instead of being impatient, so my apologies to you people as this would have deduced things a little quicker and this also shows I guess that it is not TI at fault.

However I still have the remaining problem regarding as to what is going on in respect to the copying of the images to dvd, I am following to the letter what the FAQs has instructed and to what advice I have been given regarding the set up of Nero etc. Unless you guys may have some outside ideas to what is going wrong the only thing I can possible think of is my current firmware, to which unfortunately I am unable to update, so I guess I'll have to wait untill I buy another burner...hmm.

Anyway many thanks to both Menorcaman and Como and if you have any further ideas to resolving the problem I look forward to reading them and again my apologies for not having done this incredibly small but effective task to begin with.

Regards,

Constantine

10. pkintheroad

pkintheroad Registered Member

I am having exactly the same problem as Constantine. I have used the direct burn method with about an 8gb image; TDK +RW discs - True Image build 786 - TDK880N burner - the latest versions of Nero and INCD. I used all the settings discussed in the posts above. The image verified OK. Then I tried to do a restore and got "The Image is Corrupted" on the second disc. As Constantine and I are using different DVD burners, it would seem that the problem is not there. I have been about 3 weeks trying to set this up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11. pkintheroad

pkintheroad Registered Member

A follow up on the above. It would seem that the problem has to do with Nero. I previously was using Roxio and could restore an image burned directly to DVD with it. Going back to Roxio is not an option, Nero has far superior features if I can just get it to work. Tomorrow I will try the two step method. Nero seems to work well for a lot of you good people. I just can't find out what I am doing wrong.
    Ken

12. como

como Registered Member

Constantine

There is no need to apologise, I do not use DVD disks (no burner) but I do not recognise the name PrimeDisk I assume they are a make of DVD disks. As Menorcaman advised try a different manufacture of DVD disk

Pkintheroad

There are a number of posts on burning to dvd on the forum, have you done a search and read them I believe Menorcaman posted screen shots of the settings required with Nero

13. Constantine

Constantine

Yeah cheers Como, as it happens I can offord to leave a BU on my HD (all 120 gig sata ) + so you would be well with in your right to ask (+ may even say greedy) what the hell do I want to BU to disk for, the answer is simple I use a lot of graphic applications and my BU is taking a lot of space up that could enable more resources to be used at a later date (via expanding my C and giving more play for RAM), infact my HD is partitioned into 4 and it is a juggling act for me in respect to what is needed to be stored readily available for use and what to store for a later date.

I have just open Nero and there are more updates (yet again), not that I am really complaining Nero is an excellent product so I will install the latest updates first before trying the other piece of advise of trying a different DVD manufacture...you never know.

On a different angle to all this though computers as you know too well can be temperamental, disfunctional and don't always do what there’re suppose to do.

It's time for me to try these new updates now, so hopefully I may even back to the forum with so good news. I am hoping for this as I have become quite fond of TI + I have no complaints about this product as it has saved me many times, reformatting and fresh installations arn't my favourite subject and are time consuming coupled with a massive injection of boredom (nearly kills me everytime). TI in all honesty has restalled all BUs I have made on my HD with almost perfect results everytime and the only thing I really have ever had to do is refresh licences to 1 or 2 programs but on most occasions I haven't even had to do this, so my hat goes off to a good application that been well designed/ coded apart 1 one or 2 clitches

Regards and hopefully be back with good news,

Constantine

14. Menorcaman

Re: Constantine

Hello again Constantine,

Just so that we're clear. Ahead Nero is used when burning an image compilation to ISO DVD R/RW using the indirect, two-step, method. Ahead InCD, on the other hand, is what's needed when creating images from within TI direct to InCD formatted DVD RW. Yes, there is an update to Nero (Version 6.6.03) but InCD stays at Version 4.3.0.5.

If, after trying a different brand of DVD RW, you still can't achieve error free direct imaging, try the two-step method detailed in the Acronis Online FAQ and TI User's Guide (this is usually more reliable than the direct method anyway). Have a look at this <thread> and associated links for more info on creating images via the indirect two-step method.

Regards

15. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

FYI Nero is now at 6.6.0.5, InCD 4.3.1.1, updated on Jan 10.

16. Menorcaman

Oh dear! Many thanks for the heads up Taz.

Having visited Nero's update page only yesterday morning and downloaded 29MB of Version 6.6.0.3 (on a 56kb dialup!!) I'll now have to repeat the process plus download the latest InCD. Ah well, such is life (and the joys of personal computing) I guess.

Kind Regards

17. Constantine

Gentle men,

I am fully up to date with regards to Neros updates have now managed to flash my burner, update my firmware to the latest firmware for my burner (Pioneer107D) and I have also changed brands of DVD and still no joy regarding burning images to DVD (which always end up corrupt). I am now absolutely fascinated by the problem but will have to resign somewhere along the way.

A question to everyone who does have success burning to DVD, what brand do you people use please.

Regards,

Constantine

18. Menorcaman

Verbatim DatalifePlus (on a Sony DRU-510A)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.