backup overwrite I fear it Please Help?????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ross 101, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross 101

Ross 101 Guest

I plan on backing up my windows current setup to cdr but I dont want to backup the entire C:\ drive I just want to back up windows alone. The only way I can see doing this is moving everything I dont want copied over to my D drive and then let True image then make the copy of whats left on the C drive windows folder etc and then after it makes the copy of whats left on the C:\ drive then move the files back from the D to the C drive. My concern though being is if and when my system crashes in the future and I go to use the boot up cd to start transferring the image backup thats on my cd's. Will it just overwrite the current windows installation but the files that are still on my C drive will still be their righto_Oo_O? One backup program I use along time ago it actually clean the drive before it put the backup on. And that cost me big time. Does acronis leave along the files that are still on cd and just replaces what in the backupo_Oo_O Thanks for the help

2. Ross 101

Ross 101 Guest

Sorry I worded it wrong

Does acronis leave alone the files that are still on hardrive and just replaces whats in the backup Thanks for the help

3. Kiwi 52

Kiwi 52 Guest

Ross

If you restore a partition or drive you will lose everything on the crashed partition or drive you restoring. The main purpose of TI is to back up a partition or drive and restore the whole drive or partition. It will copy files but you can't normally restore Windows with just a file based restore.

As far CD's I don't know what type of PC you have but its easier and more secure to get an external USB drive. Back all of C to it and then store it somewhere remote from the computer plugging it in when u need to.

Test that you can save and verify the USB as the TI boot disk is not really optimised for USB. Better to use BARTPE with TI plugin to restore and Windows to backup to an external USB drive.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ross 101,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

In addition to what Kiwi 52 has posted above, I would also like to note that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

First, do not start moving around file, with the intent of putting them back, it is highly likely that you will cause a problem.

And now for some religion.

I consider it impossible to totally separate system and non-system data.

Many apps use the registry, or other files on the system drive.
    Critical apps insist on putting stuff in "system directories", not to mention
    the various directories under documents and settings.

And then there's the case of never knowing just how much space will be
    needed on a system drive, causing some stuff to be installed on non-system
    drives.

And therer are apps such as VS .NET that imsist on installing huge amounts
    of files on the system drive, even if you arttempt to install them
    elsewhere.

Then there's the techniques of isolating things such as bookmaks, mail
    files, etc. into an identified place to facilitate various things.

And. for folkes using multiboot systems, one often wants to share installed
    apps and other things amongs the systems on the multiboot PC.

In any case, this is really a relgious discussion, each of us may worship
    howsoever we wish.

Develop the habit of doing a full system backup periodically, with each followed by incremental backups. IF the backup program works correctly, you will be OK.

Some backup programs will overwrite everything, others may overwrite only older files.

If you develop the habit of doing complete backups, then you can always go back to the backup at a particular point in time.

6. Howard Kaikow

What do you mean by "TI boot disk is not really optimised for USB"?
    If the TI boot disk does not support the needed USB driver, then it will not work, otherwise it will.

Note that BartPE cannot be BUILT on a windows 2000 system.
    Is there an alternative for a Win 2000 system?

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

It's not as black and white as that. Some of the TI Linux device drivers suit certain USB sub-systems better than others; one combination of motherboard/external HD enclosure chipsets will function at USB 2 Hi-Speed whilst another may well fall back to USB 1.1.

Regards

8. kiwi 52

kiwi 52 Guest

I didn't put it as well as Menorcanam has.

USB restore can be very slow on some systems as it drops to USB 1.1

I did a Google "bartpe 2000" and the builder runs on 2000 but u need Xp or 2003 Sever disk to make the boot disk

"The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
    Supported Windows versions are:
    Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
    CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD."

However others have turned their mind to the problem. Here is discussion about what to do for 2000 at this address

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14399

Ironically one answer lists True Image as the solution but this address looks promising

http://www.tech-hints.com/2kos.html

9. Howard Kaikow

Yes, but all TI can do is supply the drivers. If the hardware is poor, that does not matter, user either has to replace the hardware or live with it. USB at 1.1 would be ridiculous. I added an Adaptec USB 2 card, not very expensive.

10. bvolk

bvolk Guest

What about TI Linux SATA drivers? Did anybody hear about compatibility issues of TI Linux with SATA drives?

On my new hp desktop I have two internal SATA drives (the second one just for storing TI images) and I still check every image twice: first from Windows and then from the rescue CD (build 2323).

I'm doing that remnant of the instability I experienced with a USB drive and my former computer, a notebook I gave away mainly due to that problem. But I don't blame Acronis for that - even Windows happend to reject that USB drive in one instance, after having repeatedly aknowledged it previously.

To turn back to SATA: is my double-checking of images now redundant?

11. Menorcaman

Unfortunately for some users, the available Linux USB device drivers still have a fair way to go before they are optimised for all makes/models of USB 2 controllers.

Acronis do their level best to include new/improved Linux device drivers (not only for USB) with each new build. However, it's a fact of life that, occasionally, the "improved" drivers are a retrograde step for certain combinations of hardware. I guess this is one of the downsides of a software strategy that relies on the availability of suitable Open Source drivers.

Regards

12. Howard Kaikow

The problem is that TI Uses Linux, rather than Windows to boot the system.
    A Windows boot would allow drivers to be added at the time of the boot, thus avoiding the problem.

If Linux does not allow drivers to be added at boot time, that's a design issue with Linux that needs to be corrected.

TI should add the capability of creating a Windows boot CD.

13. Menorcaman

Acronis obviously feel that their design philosphy has certain advantages over the opposition's. Most of us who have purchased True Image have done our homework and accept the concept for what it is. If anyone doesn't like the concept then perhaps they should walk away. I see from your web presence that you are a Dantz Retrospective Guru amongst other things, so that shouldn't be hard for you to do.

Regards

14. Howard Kaikow

a foolish response.

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's refrain from any further personal comments, gentlemen.

16. Menorcaman

Howard,

I apologise for my somewhat testy reply - it isn't my normal style.

I guess the hairs on the back of my neck were still on end as a result of your response to this <previous post by Detox>.

Anyway, let's move on :)

Regards

17. bvolk

bvolk Guest

Thank you Menorcaman and Howard Kaikow,

feel I have a much clearer overall picture now. I'll sure keep following this forum!

Best wishes,
    Boris

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Not only is it NOT impossible, it is in fact extremely simple to do.

1. Partition your drive to approx 20GB for your C Drive and whatever is left for your E Drive.

2. Load Windows on your C Drive.

3. I usually rename the C Drive to "Programs ONLY" and the E Drive to "Data".

4. Place a new folder in the E Drive called "My Documents"

5. Right Click on My Documents in your "C" Drive and click on Properties> Move, and move it to E Drive> My Documents.

6. If you are using Outlook Express you can place a folder in My Documents called "Email Storage - do NOT delete" and move the "Maintenance Folder" to this folder. This will keep your emails safely stored on your E Drive. If you are using MS Outlook, you can download the automated backup program from Microsoft and have it back up your PST folder to My Documents on every closure of Outlook.

7. For any other folder, such as your Favorites, you can use the very simple backup program called Replicator from www.karenware.com to make sure it is backed up to My Documents.

The above is a very simple solution that allows for separation of Data and System files.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.