backup method with rollback ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by garry35, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi BGoodMan4,

You can still use Rollback Rx with my method. But first about MBR. Each hard disk can have 4 primary partitions with ONE MBR. Anything more than 4 primary partitions then we are talking about different MBRs for logical partitions.

I have 120GB (11GB formatted) SSD as three primary partitions with ONE MBR. Here is what I will do if I had Rollback Rx:

1: Drive Primary Partition "C" 70GB with "System Files". I will protect this with Rollback Rx.

2: Drive Primary Partition "J" 10GB, named as "MBR Protection", which has the following:

A: Firefox profile.
    B: iexplorer "internet files".
    C: .Temp files.
    D: .Tmp files.
    E: Sandboxie "container folder".

The above is protected with Shadow Defender "on boot", thus protecting the MBR of the complete SSD and everything is deleted "on boot".

3: Primary Partition "Z" 31GB, named as "DataDisk", which has the following:

A: Changing DataFiles under Dropbox which automatically get synced with all computers.
    B: Rare-Changing DataFiles, if I change them then I sync them with a program called, "SyncBackSE".

Everything else Music, Videos, Photos are on a separate hard drive and any changes on them, I again use SyncBackSE.

All my four personal computers, two desktops and two laptops have 120GB SSDs on them. One of the laptop has only place for one hard drive. I have taken this drive out and replaced it in the DVD bay and put the SSD in its place. No need for CD/DVD players in these days. 120GB SSDs are for about $100 and free shipping.

Also, Shadow Defender allows you to protect more than one hard drive and/or partition, therefore I protect the MRB of all hard drives. A small Primary Partition "on boot" protects the MBR of all hard drives.

Best regards,

KOR!

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

I completely agree with that. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from using RB by pointing out those weaknesses, if that were the case, I wouldn't be an RB user! My only agenda was to make users and potential users aware of those weaknesses, so that they don't rely on RB alone for adequate protection (as HDS' marketing hype would have you believe it provides)!

Scott

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Understood, thanks, a tad complex for me as I am not as savvy as I would like to be (and probably will not ever become as savvy as I would wish,,,,old dogs and new tricks and all that). Your approach makes sense and I am sure I could set it up as you have with help where I would need it. As noted previously perhaps when I get a new PC,,,,,, but there is something attractive about sticking with what you know and works (has worked) for you in the past.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

NO problem at all, if you hated it clearly you would not be using it.

I do agree HDS should get a good kick in the head for the misleading and ultimately dangerous marketing babble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.