Backup locations never works

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GregWH, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregWH

GregWH Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone could help with this, please.

I edited a backup location, gave it 50gigs to use to put backups in, told it I wanted 2 backups at most and 14 days that it could stay put. My backups are incremental and go off daily.

Well, so far TI10 has consistently ignored all that. I am up to 59.8gigs and 16 days have passed. I bought TI last year a week before 10 came out and have set this up since then. COnsistently, this has never worked.

Any ideas how to fix it please? Thanks.

Greg.

2. PKH

PKH Registered Member

I have a similar problem too. TI 10 did not create a full backup after a specified number of incremental bacups was reached.

I set the following parameters:

Backup location: limit no. of backup = 10
    Backup task: create incremental backup archive; create Full backup after 4 incremental backups

I deleted the Backup Location and Task, and recreated them. It can fix the problem. I think this is a glitch.

3. GregWH

GregWH Registered Member

> I have a similar problem too. TI 10 did not create a full backup after a
    > specified number of incremental bacups was reached.

> I set the following parameters:

> Backup location: limit no. of backup = 10
    > Backup task: create incremental backup archive; create Full backup after 4 > incremental backups

So are you saying that you set up 2 backup tasks, one to create the full backup and one the incrementals? I ask this because one task created doesnt delete the current backups. There is no option to delete after a certain time that I can find. I set up incremental backups and obviously the first time it ran, there being no backup there before that, it did a full backup and then incremental from then on. I have to delete the lot manually when it gets near full.

4. PKH

PKH Registered Member

No. I set up only one incremental backup task. I think we can set the backup rules (by using a combination of rules in Backup Location and Backup Task) to limit the no. of backup we want to keep and to periodically activate the full backup.

So, from my setting

the senario should be:

Day 1 [Full1]
    Day 2 [Full1, Incr]
    Day 3 [Full1, Incr, Incr]
    Day 4 [Full1, Incr, Incr, Incr]
    Day 5 [Full1, Incr, Incr, Incr, Incr]
    Day 6 [Full1, Incr, Incr, Incr, Incr, Full2]...
    Day 10 [Full1, Incr, Incr, Incr, Incr, Full2, Incr, Incr, Incr, Incr]
    Day 11 [Full2, Incr, Incr, Incr, Incr, Full3] (archive 1 was deleted automatically)

When setting up a task, you have to select the "backup location" (in the folder tree) instead of the "normal" location of the folder in which you want to keep your archive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  5. GregWH

GregWH Registered Member

Never happens to me that way. I set up the backup location so that:

Location size 60Gb (the drive is a 120Gb)
    Maximum No of backups 2 (never seen more than one plus incrementals)
    Storage Period Limit 14 (currently. Had it at 2 at one stage. Made no difference)

I always keep getting the program do incremental backups until all disk space is gone. I delete the lot and it starts over. Whatever I change, this always is the case. I get one full backup (only because I have deleted the previous stuff) and one set of incrementals.

I also DID set the backup location as you suggested originally and since. I didnt know there was any other way to do it. The wizard only SHOWS one way.

One thought that just came to me. I use the program for myself and also because I do computer work. So, when I get a damaged computer, I pull the HD out, attach it via USB to my own computer and manually cause TI10 to backup that drive to yet another HD attached to my computer. Could TI10 not be capable of handling this? I used to use Powerquest Drive Image and even Ghost 9 and 10 and they had no problem in this area. Unfortunately, Ghost 10 caused too many problems and has proven unreliable. However, it WOULD delete old backups as requested which is one feature that SAYS it is in TI10 but isnt. I hope that, at Acronis, they get off their seats and fix this one because I want to have my OWN backups without worrying if the disk is full, to be honest.

6. PKH

PKH Registered Member

I am sorry; I misunderstood. It does not happen that way--please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162036&highlight=consolidation

7. Syscomdt

Syscomdt Registered Member

I have the same problems with a system I setup for a client running TI10.
    We have 2 external 100GB Hard Drives. I set the backup limit to 85GB, since I had red previously that TI doesn't calculate the rules until after the backup task runs. I figured I needed at least 15GB for the task to complete, and then for the software to recognize it had exceeded it's limit and delete the oldest backup. I have this software writing a full backup daily to the attached drive.
    Each week, she will store the first drive in a fire safe and connect the second drive to the system, on a weekly rotation. This worked great for about 3 weeks and now the system fails to backup stating that the disk is full.
    What gives? Is True Image not capable to backing up to two seperate medias? Why do the rules seem like a waste of time, since I cannot get them to execute properly. Thanks for your help in advance.

8. GregWH

GregWH Registered Member

No, TI10 doesnt even remember the desired backup details on ONE drive let alone MORE than one.

You set up a backup to take up only so many gigabytes and/or to delete the originals after so many different ones are there and it makes no difference. TI10 does not take note of that and it just continues backing up until the drives are full and that is that. You delete the old ones manually and all is fine.

I suggest to you that in order to make yours work, you should either download a program or write a script that deletes the oldest one first then runs the TI10 program because that is the only way to do it.

It doesnt matter what Acronis say on their web site, TI10 doesnt do it and I have written to them about this and gotten nothing.

9. eliotrtow

eliotrtow Registered Member

Hi folks - re: TI Home V10 build 4927 - All I want to do is create a differential everyday and delete the previous one, so I always have one full and the latest differential. Yeah, right. Just keeps creating differentials until the b/u disk is full. Was getting good attention from support, but they seem to have fallen off the face...

I see GregWH mentioned writing a script to delete the oldest backup. I'd give my left pinky if someone had one of these scripts. I am sure it's a no-brainer if you know the language, but I have not been able to do it. Of course I wouldn't need it if b/u locations worked as advertised.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Frustrated but determined.

10. Syscomdt

Syscomdt Registered Member

I'll work on finding a script to schedule in Task Scheduler for Windows. If anyone has already built a script for maintaining a external hard disk, please post. Thanks for your guidance GregWH and all others who have contributed to this thread.
    -Scott

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post for a detailed explanation on how to use Backup Policies.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Syscomdt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that in order to use two interchangeable drives as backup locations, you need to recreate Acronis Backup Location on every of them.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.