Backup Locations - Image 10 Behavior

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tksleeper, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tksleeper

tksleeper Registered Member

One thing that I don't like is the built in retention of existing backups.

So I create a backup location of a total of 5 backups, no size limitation.

My task is for incremental backup with new created every 5.

Example 10 meg backup for a directory.
    Day 1 = file name size 10,000 KB
    Day 2 = file name size 1 KB No changes made
    Day 3 = file name size 1 KB No changes made
    Day 4 = filename size 1 KB No changes made
    Day 5 = filename size 10,000 KB

The next backup will generate a 1kb file and delete the oldest incremental.
    Leaving two full backups, and 3 old incrementals. If it deleted the oldest incremental from the original series, doesn't that mean all the other incrementals created after that are worthless? Or is there a merge?

On restores it appear to not matter which incremental is used if all jobs are in the same directory - it restores or at the very least allows the viewing of the full not just the changes.

Any ideas?

Ted

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Ted,
    Full disclosure: I've only tested incremental and differential backups out of curiosity, for my own computer I use only full image backups. That being said, yes, the incremental backups will merge to keep you within the limits you set up. One thing to watch for, the merge process can get quite time consuming depending on the size of the files, so if TI seems to hang at the end of a backup it might just be merging the files.

As for a restore, the test backups I've run indicate that selecting either the parent full backup or any if its incrementals will give you full options for a restore, as long as none of the files are corrupt.

CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.