Backup just OS (& not programs)?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Honu, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honu

Honu Registered Member

I recently bought ADDS v.10.0, build 2.089 and ATI Home v.9.0 build 3.567.

One thing I can't figure out is how to copy my OS (Windows XP Pro, SP2) with all settings and config files to a new partition on my backup drive -- w/o copying all the programs on my C: drive. Page 96 in the ADDS User Guide seems to imply that if you want to backup your OS, you HAVE TO copy all your other programs too. Is that true? I'll do that if I have to, but ideally I'd prefer to have the OS, programs and data files each backed-up separately to their own partitions on my backup drive.

Thanks for any help!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Honu,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Acronis Software does not allow you to clone only operating system without applications installed under it. Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 allows you to copy a partition where your operating system is installed. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home allows you to create a backup of this partition and then restore it to a new partition or to clone the entire hard drive to a new one.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Honu

Honu Registered Member

Thanks, Kirill. I used OS selector to make a copy of the OS and its programs on the C drive. How can I transfer the new copy of the OS (and programs) to a partition on my external backup drive?

Thanks

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Honu,

Please note that Acronis OS Selector cannot copy operating system to another hard drive and make this operating system bootable without original hard dirve. You can copy partition with operating system using Acronis Disk Director Suite, but this way does not allow you to copy only an operating system (without whole partition) either.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.