Backup from USB 2.0 external hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Andrew S, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew S

Andrew S Registered Member

I had a computer crash (it wouldn't boot in safe mode) and I attempted to restore the partition from an image on a USB 2.0 hard drive with the latest build recovery CD. I was able to boot the CD and was able to see the drive, however the restore process said it was going to take 12 hours! I assume the drive was operating at USB 1.1 specs. I was able to copy the image to another partition on the drive and restore from there.

We have multiple computers on our network, and some that do not have partitioned drives. Is there a known fix for this? Does the recovery CD not support USB 2.0? I would hate to have to open a system up and add a drive if I need to restore an image again.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The initial estimate that TI gives is always way way off. Did you wait for, say, 10 minutes, to see if the estimate had lowered?

3. Andrew S

Andrew S Registered Member

I waited a good 20 minutes and the estimate dropped to about 9 hours. The image was around 20 GB, and around 9 hours is probably close to USB 1.1 speed.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You might check into BartPE and Mustang's plugins.

5. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

A couple of months ago I had to restore a 9Gb partition from an external USB drive using TI 8 build 937. My USB ports are USB2. Never got a good answer as to why it took so long. Any suggestions or ideas as to why it took so long?

Phil B.

6. TheWeaz

From what I can recall – the problems are that of Linux drivers (boot CD) versus Windows drivers, as well as USB/bridge chipsets in some external enclosures. I'm sure someone can elaborate.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That would be my call on it as well.

The BartPE/Mustang plugin is the solution for Linux driver problem.

General consensus is that an external drive with a NEC chipset is more likely to function properly. That is not only from the view on this forum but I have seen it elsewhere as well. In the chipset case it is not a driver issue but a poor design.

8. Phil B.

How do I check to see what chipset I have in my External drive? It is a Maxtor 200Gb USB2.

Does this mean all my restores (if needed) will take an abnormal amount of time?

Phil B.

9. seekforever

I don't know if there is a way to tell what chipset other than reading the logo. Does it give any clues in Device Manger in Windows. However, there may well be different models.

Have you put a formal request for support into Acronis rather than just this forum - the two aren't the same thing?

I don't know what the difference, if any, is between the TI8 and TI9 supported USB devices. You could try a recover from the trial TI 9 recovery CD version.

And as said before there is always the BartPE route.

10. Phil B.

What is BARTPE and how does it help?

11. TheWeaz

BartPE, along with the plug in from mustang, enables you to create a bootable CD that uses Windows drivers (instead of the Linux ones) and run TI from there.
    I’m not at all familiar with what’s behind it all, but I was able to create one without much trouble.

12. seekforever

There is a Windows PE which I think stands for Preparation Environment. It is only provided to Microsoft's corporate clients. It is a stripped down version of Windows, perhaps memory resident.

It was taken by Bart as a model for something similar since its use as a diagnostic environment was seen as being worthwhile. So while BartPE isn't exactly the same as Microsoft's offering it does a similar function. There also is another version by Reatogo.

You basically create a bootable BartPE CD that include a TI plug-in program thus allowing you to run TI.

It helps you because it is a Windows environment with the Windows drivers including the USB drivers. This is an area where the linux recovery disk is very weak.

Do a forum search for recent postings on BartPE or postings by Mustang. Acronis has an official TI8 plugin that you can get while Mustang has created a TI9 plugin.

13. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

And I might add that I was very fortunate to stumble onto this BartPE setup. A couple of years ago, I thought setting up a BartPE CD was way too complicated and never gave it a try. A month ago, I finally stopped and tried it. I did it! Works like a charm and TI8 (haven't tried Mustang's TI9 plugin yet) plugin performs flawlessly. I can't imagine doing a TI restoration any other way. :)

14. seekforever

I agree that when you start looking into creating the BartPE disk it does look rather intimidating but once you get your pieces together the process is highly automated.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you encounter a problem with some external USB hard drive being not recognized or working slowly in Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, then first of all please make sure that you use the latest build available in Product Updates section of Acronis web site.

If the problem still persist with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build of the respective Acronis True Image version then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

- Let us know the exact vendors and models of both your motherboard\USB controller and USB hard drive;

- Describe the issue in detail;

In this way you will ensure that this problem is known by Acronis and the support for your particular hard drive\controller will be implemented\improved in the future builds\versions of a particular product.

As a workaround you can always use Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE. As seekforever has already pointed out above, when using Bart PE your computer is booted into a Windows-like environment which allows you to boot proper drivers for your particular USB devices. Therefore there should not be any problems using any USB hard drive in this environment.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.