Backup for parent's pc

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Defcon, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I'm putting a new hard disk in my dad's laptop and the old one will be used in an enclosure for regular backups. For data backup, MyDocuments, Pictures will be backed up online via Dropbox and Mozy (total size is not that big).

For the rest of the data and OS I would like something that will do -

- as soon as external disk is connected, do an image backup of OS, and file backup of data
    - manage incrementals and delete old backups
    - allow simple recovery using either boot disk or some program

The laptop can only have 1 disk otherwise I would have run SyncToy to mirror all data to 2nd disk.

I know many programs can do this, but I don't need advanced features such as multiple restore points, snapshots etc. It just needs to be simple enough so that he can do the restore himself if things go wrong, as long as he is in the habit of connecting the external drive daily.

2. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

This topic has been addressed many times on this forum. I would suggest that you do a search of the archives rather than hope folks will yet again post about the pros and cons of various programs. Then, once you have narrowed things down you can ask specific question about particular programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.