Backup folder games

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by sunshine__, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshine__

sunshine__ Registered Member

Hi everyone.
    I have a problem and i don't know how to fix it.
    All i want is to stick 2 partitions ( D + E ) together,without formatting the D partition where i have a lot of games installed.
    So,i have in total 3 partitions : C with the OS ,D with a lot of games installed,and E with some pictures,music...
    I wanna stick together D and E. First ,i backup all i have in E ,and i put them on my external hard drive.
    That's very easy actually,but with the D partition i haven't got a clue how to backup my folder with the installed games.
    Can i backup this folder,with Acronis ,and restore it later?
    My idea is : i backup that folder (image /clone ),and everything else from E ,put them on the external drive,and after that i format those 2 partitions, D and E ,and i make 1 single partition from 2.
    After i recover the folder with installed games,everything ( installed games ) will work fine ?
    What do you think ? Is that okay if i do it like that ?
    I'm not gonna try with Partition Manager or software like that ,because it's danger.
    Please advice me how is the best way to fix it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

sunshine__:

Welcome to the forum. Backing up is an excellent suggestion and you should take the time to do this before making any changes so that your valuable files are protected. Partitioning software would be the best method for doing this, so I would recommend the following approach to combine your two partitions into one larger partition:

1. Copy all of your files on E: to your external backup drive, as you suggested.
    2. Using Disk Director, delete the E: partition.
    3. Using Disk Director, resize the D: partition until it fills the rest of the disk.
    4. Copy the files from your external backup drive back onto the D: partition

You cannot accomplish this with imaging software alone since programs like TrueImage are only able to restore a copy of a partition, and if you target the restore of your backed-up E: partition to the D: partition it will delete the D: partition and replace it with the image of the E: partition.

If you leave the D: partition with your games intact and simply resize it larger, then all of the settings, etc. for the games will be preserved. Also, having an image of D: is good practice in case you have problems and need a way to recover.

3. sunshine__

Thanks.
    I think i forgot the most important thing,when i started the thread:
    Actually,after i backup all i need,and get a clone / image of the "games folder",i just delete / format / those 2 partitions , D and E ,withe the "disk management" tool,from Windows.
    After that ,i make one single partition ,again with "Disk Management" .After that, i recover that image / clone , with " games folder" ,using Acronis. Should be fine ,theoretical.
    And the rest ( movies ,music,pictures ) i just copy them from the external hard,back to the D partition.

4. sunshine__

I did as you said. Perfect. Good job. Thanks.
    It was much easier and faster than i thought.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.