backup dvd disk errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kleinert, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kleinert

kleinert Registered Member

After installation I tried to do a full backup, using normal compression and the wizard. When I get to the point where a dvd-r is to be inserted (preparing image creation, please insert the first media) I get a rejection =error e00040004 disk is full or poor media. I have used four empty discs, then I bought some new ones (dvd-r, to match my burner) and the same thing happens. The program will not accept any disks, thinking they are full. I am using roxio cd-direct for dvd writing and freshly formatted disks.

2. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

You need to format those disks with a program like inCD. That's what Nero calls it. I think Roxio calls it DLA (drive letter access) After the disk is formatted with one of these applications, Acronis will recognize it. Feel free to contact me with any more questions.

3. paperwell

paperwell Guest

I'm a newbie also,

are you saying to format the dvd-r, wouldn't that write on the dvd-r? rendering it used.

shoudn't we use a dvd + or- RW to format and to rewriteo_O

4. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I've given up on Acronis a while ago, but you are right, you need to use DVD-RW if I remember correctly. Either + or -

5. paperwell

paperwell Guest

Welp, got meself some of those dvd+rw's formated with Nero InCd. Started the image and it gave me somekind of popup box concerning the disc. Geez, I removed and replaced the same disc and somehow it started the image process.

I'll check the image later when all this is done, it's processing in the background as I write.

Do I have to make a cd or dvd bootdisk? you know, if something happens to my system, will I have to boot with a dvd disk since the image in on dvd or could I make a boot disc using a cd-r?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

See my previous reply to kleinert's similar post at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=264750#post264750 for more information on burning images to DVD.

Use a CD-R or CD+/-RW to create the Boot Rescue Disk (it's Linux O/S based). I recommend you burn a new rescue disk each time you update TI to a newer build. That way it'll always contain the latest Linux device drivers and program bug fixes (use a CD RW if you don't want to waste CD-Rs).

Alternatively, you could burn a self contained bootable rescue DVD that containes both the TI boot mode program and your backup image. See wdormann's procedure at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48186 for the details.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  7. paperwell

paperwell Guest

hmm, did the image backup within WindowsXp on dvd+rw's, created a rescue boot cdrw disk. I just hope its AOK as I can't view the image on multiple media and the image verication would take too long too run. Hopefully Acronis will update TI7 to view multiple disk images as they say it may with the TI8 as far as i read.

I've only got 1 large partition when I reformatted my hard drive awhile back. Is it possible to create another partition without reformatting my HD?, I'd don't want to mess up any data in there cause I don't know if my TI backup is a working save.

If I could just add a new partition easily I'd do it and image it to the new partition, then I could copy it to dvd+r's ,

8. paperwell

paperwell Guest

as i dwell futher in TI7, there's something there that'll create another partition for me I thinks.

yippeeee, no to see if it works though.

sorry for stealing your thread

9. zaza

zaza Guest

You can use either DVD+RW or -RW, I have images on both format...

You have to format those disk with InCD (which is part of NERO) , but it's very annoying (for DVD-RW you'll need 120 min !!!) and it often says disk full or poor quality...

I have a much better solution :

1. Reboot with "Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media"
    2. Create your image on a partition (obviously not the same you're imaging ;))
    You don't have to put it on a different disk, just different partition.
    3. Reboot again
    4. Burn your image directly with Nero on your unfomated DVD+-RW
    5. It works !!! (you can check your burned image with Acronis if you're not sure)

Total time : 20-30 Min

I've restore those images many times with no problem at all...

10. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Why reboot with the rescue media? One of the main points of the software is that you don't need to exit windows to image your system.

11. kleinert

kleinert Registered Member

I've repeatedlly tried to create image; first on dvd-r, then on hard disk (later copied to dvd-r's), Neither resulted in anything ti7 would read ("disk full, or poor media"). I use xp, roxio, and ti7, using direct-cd.

12. wdormann

kleinert: Have you tried authoring a standard DVD? (No Drag & Drop / Direct CD stuff)

13. paperwell

paperwell Guest

I created a new partition using partitionmagic7 and created a full image to that new partition.

I did not specify the volume size, should have I?

As I'd like to copy the image to dvd's, do I just write this image with Neroo_O or do I create a new image with a specified volume size to copy to the dvd. Meaning a more clean layout of volumes on each dvd media used?

14. paperwell

paperwell Guest

another thing, is that i'll be copying to dvd-rw's.

I've read another thread saying to specify 1.9G tib files and use NERO/Roxio to burn files on dvd-rw's. I'm a getting all mixed up, if I formated the dvd+rw's with NERO udf(incd) is it ok to just image the drive on auto file size in TI7? or should i still specify 1.9G per Tib?

15. wdormann

16. paperwell

paperwell Guest

WDoorman,

I'm alittle bit of a novice concerning dvd ISO9660 and the sorts. I'll check into it and study your instructions.

thank u!

17. wdormann

Pretty much the only thing you need to know is to make your TIBs split at 1.9GB. (Actually 635MB makes a good fit on a DVD with multiple image files) Author your DVD the standard way (not drag and drop), and you should be good to go.

If you like, then you can play around with making the DVD bootable.

18. paperwell

paperwell Guest

hmm, I'm running NERO 6 suite. there's no manual way to create a boot disk. Nero6 has an option in "Expert Mode" and it creates a boot disk. I'll add in the "acronis" and "boot" folders in the root directory. I'll see how it goes, I'll add in tib files if it boots up. It's getting late, i'll sleep on it for awhile.

thanks you

19. paperwell

paperwell Guest

it looks like I may have to reinstall Nero5.xx to create a boot dvd disk. I don't know if Nero5.xx and Nero6.xx can reside together, though.

Whats the advantage of having the boot dvd with some tib files, + tib files on other dvd+rw's versus a seperate TI7 rescure/boot cd-rw and my tib files on dvd+rw's?

I bought TI7 for its ease of use, but this is making it complicated.

all responses is appreciated
    thank you in advance

20. wdormann

You don't need to make a boot DVD.
    You don't need Nero 5. (Either should work, and I have used both versions 5.x and 6 to make the bootable DVD)

The advantage of a bootable DVD is that it's one less disc to worry about. That's all. I put together those instructions for those who would like that convenience.

If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you want to store your images on DVD, then just set the split size to 635MB, as that will give you a pretty efficient use of space.

21. paperwell

paperwell Guest

that 635M tib works out very well. WDormann, i know you're quite busy, but if you have some spare time could you let me know how to create that boot dvd with Nero 6. It opens with Nero SmartStart and it certainly doesn't look like Nero 5.xx at all. I can't find the burn image page as in your pic. I'd sure like to try it.

thank you in advance

22. wdormann

I don't use SmartStart. Is there any way you can switch to an "Expert Mode" ?
    Or perhaps launch the normal Nero program through the start menu?

23. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Open SmartStart, select the DVD tab then cursor to the Data icon. Hover over "Make Bootable Disc" icon, ensure the pop up dialogue box reads "Open with: Nero Burning ROM" and then left click on the bootable disc icon (see screen capture below). This'll take you to the "Boot" tab of the Nero 6.0 "New Compilation" wizard. Set this tab up as per wdormann's first image and then select "New". This opens the new new project window as per his second image (note: his view doesn't include the File Browser window). Once you've draged the necessary folders/files into the new project window just click on the "Burns the current compilation" icon as normal. Hope this helps.

Regards

Attached Files:

24. paperwell

paperwell Guest

Menorcaman, would you be running Nero6 Retail or the Ultra version? I'm running the O.E.M. version and as I hover over the "make boot disk", I don't have an open dialog box such as yours. All I got is "Nero Express" and "Add to Favorites" buttons. As I read the Manual, it states the Retail and Ultra version is has alot more power.

This could be the reason for me not being able to do this.

25. paperwell

paperwell Guest

upgraded to Nero6 Ultra, 635M tib files worked out just great! Fitted the boot files and 7 tib files perfectly.

tested the boot, and all is fine. Real Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.