backup drive getting full

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tbhudson, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbhudson

tbhudson Registered Member

Have used Acronis for backing up my C drive but my backup drive (240 gig) is now half full while my main drive (120 gigs) has only 31 gig used. Afraid my backup drive will get full at this rate.
    Any suggestions as to how to slow down the filling of my back up drive? Not sure why it is putting so much on it as I have the backup set for incremental backup only.

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

are you defraging in between backups? That may be why.

3. tbhudson

tbhudson Registered Member

Nope. Just did a defragment--with all the use--it was 29% fragmented. Took forever to defrag the backup hard drive. Just started using the backup a month ago.

4. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello tbhudson,

Did you use only full backups or full and incremental/differential backups? Depending on what kind of files you have on your main drive the full image would be about 20-25 GB. If you use only full backups your 240 GB drive will get full really fast and you will need to overwrite the old backups.

_Kento_

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you keep adding files, then sooner or later the drive will fill and you'll have to go in and delete some files to recover som space.

You can do post-commands to run batch files to handle this somewhat.
    Version 10 finally added as a feature the ability to specify haow many files or how many biytes or how old and then automatically delete the oldest files.

sh

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Why not make one FULL backup now and delete the rest. With 31gig of used space a full backup will be approx. 19gig unless most of the used space is taken by mp3 and videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.