Backup archive count limit

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DataCrypt, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DataCrypt

DataCrypt Registered Member

Hello. Sorry if this has been posted, I searched this forum but couldn't find anything to help me out. I'm helping a company configure True Image Server Enterprise 9.1. It is ONLY being used to backup some information on the server itself and NOT remote user workstations.

I've gone in and setup a couple of scheduled task to backup files in certain folders. This is working great! I see in the backup location that I've chosen (a external USB hard drive) that the files are there (i.e. MyBackup.tib, MyBackup1.tib, etc...).

I want to limit the number of archives as I don't want there to be hundreds in these backup folders. So, I installed the "Backup Server" component and can't quite understand how to use that (if that's what I'm supposed to use to configure this).

I setup a "connection" to the server itself (i.e. entered the computer name that True Image is actually running on). I then selected the backup location where I'm storing one of the backups to and set an archive limit of 3. Will this do it? How do I limit the backup location of the other scheduled tasks that are saving to different backup locations? I entered another one, but it has the same name (i.e. the connection name). Is that okay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

DataCrypt

2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Also set the Maximum incremental backups for each full backup. Once it exceeds this limit, the 1st incremental and full backup would be consolidated and then the 2nd inc would become the 1st until a new inc will be added.

You will need to have the Acronis Backup Server software installed on all image repositories in order to be able to limit files generations.

3. DataCrypt

Thanks NumLock. I "think" I have the Maximum incremental backups set for the backup locations that I'm using. However, I'm not sure if it's setup correctly. Again I have more than one True Image scheduled task and each backups into different locations.

When you say
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. o_O

The only place I'm saving images is on an external USB drive attached to this server (Windows 2003 server) where True Image is installed & running. I'm not using any dedicated servers for imaging nor imaging any remote workstations. Each job (scheduled task) that I setup to backup data stores to a different folder. I have one backup called UserDocs going to F:\Daily Backups\UserDocs and another called MySQLData going to F:\Daily Backups\MySQLData. So as I mentioned before, I setup multiple "connections" from the management console, one for each folder in hope to control the maximum backups kept. But I'm not sure if this is the correct method.

Another question is what if I place all the backups into one folder? Does True Image know to keep the Maximum incremental backups size limit that I set for ALL backups that get put in one folder. For example, if I have one job saving as UserDocs and another one as MySQLData and they both go into the same folder F:\Daily Backups, will it manage the maximum backups to keep for each?

Thank you very much,

DataCrypt

4. DataCrypt

bump.... Can anyone please help answering this? The documentation in TI leaves a lot to be desired. I need to try and have this working by this weekend if possible.

Thank you,

DataCrypt

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'm prtty sure the limits apply to the Backup Location and not the task, so if you create a backup and it exceedsthe file number limit for the directory, then ATI would try to resolve the exceedance through it's usual routines. Consolidate incs, delete oldest first, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.