Backup 9.0 Pro will not recognize External USB Drive,

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by reedm, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Backup 9.0 Pro trial does not recognize my external USB drive in Volume Explorer. It gives info in top pane for internal drives, but nothing for external drive. The external drive does show in the lower pane.

The drive is available when I select any of the backup tasks. I can backup to it and restore from it. Very confusing.

Any thoughts anyone?

Reed

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

If you connect your external HD while the program is already open, you have to refresh with F5 or reopen the application. Under Tools > File Transfer Wizard is an alternative to access your files, archives, and extraction.

Can you confirm it's specific to that hard drive or external hard drives in general (test with a flash drive).

3. reedm

reedm Registered Member

OK, I ran a bunch of cases. Here are the results. All with Backup Pro 9.0 Trial.

Case 1. USB Sandisk CF card reader connected, USB Seagate FreeAgent 1TB connected. Launch BU Pro9, Program crashes with message -launcher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...send error-don't send error. Tried twice more with same result.

Case 2. Disconnected Sandisk USB card reader and launched BU Pro9. USB external drive still connected. Launched OK. In Disk View, Volume Explorer, no external USB drive. Hit F5 a couple of times, just in case, but no change, as expected. The USB drive shows up on the disk map in the lower pane, but not in the drive tree in the upper pane. The disk does show up in the BackUp Wizard and the Restore Wizard, so the program sees it, and I can write to it and read from it. The USB disk also does not show up in the right pane at the top of the Archive tab.

Case 3. Connect a different USB drive with BU Pro running, and BU Pro crashed. Relaunched BU Pro, and the new drive shows up in both panes of Disk View-Explorer, as expected, and also shows up in the top right pane of the Archive tab. When I reconnect the Sandisk USB card reader and relaunch BU Pro, the application crashes as before.

Case 4. Disconnect the Sandisk USB card reader, reconnect the original USB drive, and launch BU Pro 9. Disk shows up in both panes of the Disk View Explorer, as it should and in the top right pane of the Archive tab.

Case 5. Close BU Pro and disconnect the original USB drive. Launch BU Pro 9, and then connect the original USB drive. Drive does not appear until I hit F5, then it appears, as expected, in top and bottom panes of Disk View-Explorer, but not in the top right pane of the Archive tab. F5 key has no effect here. Close BU Pro, and relaunch, then the USB drive appears correctly in both the Disk View and Archive tabs.

Case 6. Close, BU Pro, reconnect the Sandisk USB card reader, relaunch BU Pro, and BU Pro crashes as before.

Is there a fix for the USB card reader problem?

BU Pro 9.0 Trial seems to be finding the USB disk now, after finding the other USB disk, but time will tell if it will see it tomorrow. I will restart my computer, and see what happens, an send that info along later.

Reed

4. reedm

reedm Registered Member

As mentioned in a previous post, now I disconnected the USB drive, did a computer restart, and with the computer running and the Sandisk USB card reader disconnected, I reconnected the USB hard drive and launched BU Pro 9trial. BU Pro came up and properly found the USB drive in both the Disk View-Explorer and the Archive top right pane. So far so good. Closed BU Pro, connected the empty Sandisk card reader, relaunched BU Pro, and, of course, it crashed.

I had a brain storm. I put a CF card, formatted for my camera, but with no data except the file structure applied by the camera formatting, in the Sandisk card reader, and relaunched BU Pro 9. It came up just fine, no crashes, and found both the USB hard drive and the card in the card reader.

This poses a problem. We are photographers, and both computers I want to use BU Pro on have connected Sandisk USB card readers that are empty except when we are reading camera files to the computer. Neither computer user will remember to put a card in the reader prior to a scheduled backup being run. BackUp Pro must be taught to not be confused by a connected, but empty card reader, or its usefullness will be seriously diminished.

Reed

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Reedm

This was an old problem we had, and for the most part, it's been resolved in our latest build of Drive Backup 9 and 10. However, the trial version seems to be a step behind, exhibiting the old problems.

You won't have these problems in the full version, and we back our products with a 30 days money back guaranteed.

I just connected my empty multi card reader (SD, CF, SM, MMC), Disk Management sees the removable drive, and Paragon does not. No errors or crashes.

6. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Hello Paragon_Tommy,

What is the Drive Backup 9 and 10 you mentioned? Is this the current released version of Backup 9.0 Pro and a new version 10?

What is the "Disk Management" program you mention in your 3rd paragraph?

When I just launched BU Pro 9 trial, it again could not see the usb drive in Disk View-Explorer or Archives. Intermittant problems like this are real hard to find.

I will do a restart and let you know what happens.

7. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Note: all these tests are with the card reader disconnected.

I did a restart with external USB drive connected, launched BUPro9 and the drive was there.

Did a restart without drive connected, connected the drive, launched BU Pro9 and the drive was there.

Closed BU Pro, disconnected the drive, launched BU Pro, connected the drive and hit the F5 key. Drive appears in Disk View tab-bottom map pane, but not in top Vol Explorer pane.

Closed BU Pro, and relaunched, and the drive was found in bot the Vol Explorer and Disk view panes. The F5 refresh appears to not function correctly.

In the previous post, I launched BU Pro with the card reader connected, program came up, but first thing I did in Disk View caused a crash. After the crash, relaunching or F5 had no effect. The reboot sorted things out.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Is it still all fine now after rebooting?

I believe Tommy was indicating some builds of DB 9 exhibited that behaviour.

The more recent build of DB9 has largely overcome it.

DB10 is not released yet.

In Vista/7, Disk Management can be found by typing disk management into start search box.

9. winds350

winds350 Registered Member

I bought Drive Backup Pro 9 a few weeks back, taking advantage of the current special pricing. The current version at the time, and still as far as I know, was 9.0.9.10081_000 dated 31-07-2009. For me, this version crashed every time I clicked on the archive tab if my Sandisk Extreme card reader was connected. Based on advice posted here, I logged a problem report with Paragon, and they got me a version that worked with the card reader attached.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

What build and version number is the one that works with your card reader?

11. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Thanks for the previous thoughts and comments. For what it is worth, and I should have stated it before, I am running Win XP Pro SP3.

Any time I launch the trial version of Backup 9.0 Pro with the USB card reader attached, the program crashes. There is apparently no updated version of the trial version.

I found, on Paragon's site, a free version 10 of Backup and Recovery. That version works fine with the card reader connected. It also does scheduled backups just fine.

That version appears to be able to restore the whole partition or just individual files from the archive. Seems to allow restoration while in Windows, not requiring the restoration from a relaunch with a boot disk. That should not work on the system partition.

What are, or will be, the major differences between the Backup and Recovery free version 10, and a paid for version 10 Personal or Pro Backup and recovery? When will these be released? the free version seems to be so capable, I wonder why one would want a Personal or Pro version?

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Reed,

I am glad you found DB10 works well for you.

It is very capable.

Don't go telling them it is so good people won't need the paid versions, LOL.

Since the paid versions aren't out yet, there is no comparison chart on the Paragon website.

I don't believe there is a fixed release date as yet - but quite soon, I would think.

However - looking at the existing comparison chart ( although it is for the current 9 series) will give you a general idea of the features you can expect in Pro and Personal versions. The Pers and Pro versions do File and Folder backup as well as disk/partition imaging - and a whole lot of other features you can see there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.