Backing up the MBR??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by flimbag, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

OK, since I did a recent rescue, the snapshot/image that I'm running from was created maybe 6 months ago.

Now, I keep on getting messages telling me that my MBR backup is out of date, but having updated to the latest release of ISR, it doesn't actually *use* the MBR, but I can't find anywhere that I can either rebackup the MBR or stop the messages from appearing.

Running Raxco version 3.2. Thoughts?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Do you mean you restored an image of your disk that was 6 months old?

3. flimbag

Yeah, exactly. Well, created six months previously, but I'd boot into it once a week to update the anti-virus definitions and Windows patches, etc. etc.

I use ISR like this: I have three snapshots. One is just the plain OS with no apps installed. The second is the OS and my critical apps. The third is my current primary snapshot, and I generally have a rollback snap of that primary.

As my primary image was getting flaky, I'd decided to roll back to my OS and critical apps snapshot. I knew it was up to date and working well, whereas I'd started seeing occasional BSOD's in my primary image -- testing loads and loads of security apps will seem to do that for you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

So you restored an old image. But did you then update FDISR to the new version??

5. flimbag

Yeah, exactly. Restored the old snapshot, and then updated ISR. And the new version of ISR doesn't appear to have any way of touching the MBR. I'd assumed that there must be a scheduled item that is set to remind me every day that I haven't backed up for six months or more, but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere. It doesn't seem to be set in ISR, and it doesn't seem to be in XP's scheduled tasks either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.