Backing Up Drivers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by walking paradox, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

I know that you can manually back up drivers by locating the specific files associated with the various drivers in say Device Manager and then just manually back those files up. I also know that there are thrid party programs that automate this task. So my question is, of those programs which ones are free, easy-to-use, and effective? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice on the matter.

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello TypicallyOffBeat,

I have but not used yet 'driverXp.bat' I think this was a recommendation from PC World. Anyway I normally rely on (for now) Acronis, hurry up ShadowProtect ver 3

Take Care
    Rico

3. walking paradox

Imaging software, such as acronis and SP, have a function to specifically backup just drivers? I mean, do they automatically detect all the files associated with all drivers and specifically back up those files? or do they just back up those files by default when it backs up the entire system?

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

This does what you want Typ., it's worth reading the reviews on this page.
    I have many Apps. from Snaps., they are very good due to their checking
    if Apps. are clean etc.

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/drivermax/drivermax.html

Note that Free registration is required after 30 days - I don't like
    that idea, so would use it with that in mind.

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I've tried those before. When I attempted to restore the drivers , the tish hit the fans. This is on 2 different programs. After much soul searching, I found that I only really have a few drivers to update and rarely update. So I decided these programs are not worth the hassel.
    But, before you give up, DriverGenius is something to try.

6. walking paradox

I'm not looking for a program to update my drivers, as windows itself has this capability or I can just search online periodically. What I'm looking for is a program that automatically backs up all your drivers for instances such as when one is doing a reformat / reinstall on someone's infected computer.

7. SinisterSam

SinisterSam Registered Member

All your drivers are stored in "C:\windows\system32\drivers".

If you wish find what each driver is and wish to save it accordingly:

START>[right click] on "My Computer" > select the "Hardware" tab > click on "Device Manager" = in device manager [right click] on the hardware you wish to backup the driver for and select "Properties" then select the "Driver" tab > then select "Driver Details" - u now have the specific driver for that hardware and can back it up where you wish.

SS FTW :D

8. walking paradox

@SinisterSam
    Thanks for your suggestion, but as I said in my initial post:
    Thanks enigmah and MICRO, I will take a look at those programs later.

On a separate note, I just realized that the drivers for my freinds Windows 2000 machine probably won't work if used on a Windows XP machine. While I've never tried this myself, it would seem it would not work. Can anyone verify this?

Lastly, to expand my resources for loacting drivers, what are some good onlines sources for finding drivers that you guys have found useful?

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

The same happened here for me. Backed up (seemingly) just fine then on restore, Bam! Bluescreen and hit the fan. I now back up all my drivers manually only. I simply don't trust driver back up proggies after my experiences with some of them.

10. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Give Driver Magician a try. I have been using it for the last year or so and never had a problem with it.

You can choose Auto Set-Up Package or Self Extracting.

http://www.drivermagician.com/

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

This might be the ticket:

DoubleDriver - http://boozet.xepher.net/dd/index.htm

PS. I have used this to back up the drivers on my system, but have never had to restore drivers - "if it aint broke dont fix it", is my philosophy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  12. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I did a reinstallation of windows on to empty snapshot of FDISR and i used Drivermax (thanks to Micro) to put my drivers on. It worked very well and it didnt miss any drivers. So now i am using it to back up my drivers to external harddrive!

Kristian

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Aren't your drivers part of the installation CDs you get with the PC?
    Mobo drivers, graphic card drivers etc.
    Mrk

14. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Using this one since years. Never had problems. Simple and does its job more than well.

15. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I am sorry, I do not understand why this is necessary? I am not being a smart axe, I just do not understand o_O

Mike

16. walking paradox

Sorry, perhaps I should have elaborated more fully. The reason I was seeking to back up drivers in this particular case is because I'm going to be reformatting the HD and installing a new OS on my freinds computer, but then I realized that the drivers he's using currently with Windows 2000 probably won't work with Windows XP (can anyone verify this?) and thus I will likely have to search for new drivers anyways. He doesn't have any of the original cds that came with the hardware, he built it with some other freinds several years ago. I am surpised this is unusual to some of you asking why this is necessary. I mean, don't you guys ever have friends or clients that have misplaced their isntallation cds and need to do a reformat / reinstall.

17. flinchlock

Even if I have the original driver CD/program, I always check to see if there is an updated driver at the original site, or someone else still maintains them.

I usually run a few different hardware diag programs (search for UBCD4WIN) and study those printouts to search for drivers.

Mike

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Using the Device Manager or PC Wizard, you can find the hardware in the computer. Then you can search the manufacturer's website for teh latest drivers.

Typically youll need teh chipset, video, and sound drivers. Also get the drivers for any external devices like printers.

Edit: Just use PC Wizard. It does support Win95 btw.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  19. flinchlock

Not much help when the friend has W95. ;)

Mike

P.S. Yes, yes, I know that PC will probably not support XP, but maybe the HD is usable at least to setup as a 2nd drive for MyDocs.

Mike

20. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning that DM works well Kris. - I refer it to people who are needing such - due to the Reviews about it, I have ATI so have been wondering if DM was worthy of the decent reviews, and now I know it's
    OK to recommend.
    Another item of interest to me is that Tommy refers to the
    Free 'Double Driver' as being very good too, with that one there is no
    30 day registration required - I notice it was recommended on the
    'Clif Notes' Newsletter and wondered if it was OK - now I know, so you and Tommy have killed two birds with one stone.

Regards.

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

But, but, but EASTER, can you please name same so that everyone can be aware of which ones NOT to consider ?

Regards.

22. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

You are welcome! I took the risk and even registered it. So far so good. I will also start recommending it to people!

Kristian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.