Backing up and restoring the registry

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Hi all

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to back up and restore windows registry

now i know for NT/2000/2003/XP its best to just use ERUNT as these systems dont really provide an easy way to back up and restore the registry

but i cant find anything similuer for backing up the registry on 9x/ME

help

2. Use GOOGLE

Use GOOGLE Guest

3. bentrider1

bentrider1 Registered Member

If you want to leave your worries about the registry in someone else's hands, go to Registry Mechanic, Google it and try it out. Registry clutter gets worse everytime you try a program, delete it and so forth. The registry info is not deleted because you have deleted (any even wiped) the program. Registry Mechanic takes care of those chores. And amateurs can use it with safety. A few years ago, I tried a couple of registry fix-it programs that had me turning to my Quick Restore CD. Registry Mechanic takes the chore from editing the registry. I have Windows XP Home SP2. :cool:

4. GForce

GForce Guest

Bethrezen,

If you'd prefer a non-M$ explanation of whats happening at the link provided in the second post, look here.
    From my experience, it may be easier for newbs to digest if you can break down and simplify the approach.
    Just a thought.

GF

5. Use GOOGLE

Use GOOGLE Guest

As my username suggests, it didn't really matter to me where the info was coming from. I posted the first link from Google which was the Microsoft info. I don't understand asking a forum a question as basic as this because the same time it takes to type in a forum, you can type in Google. Is it really easier to ask a forum how to backup the Win98 registry than to type in Google:
    Windows 98 registry backup

By the way, the member who asked this question is writing a long dissertation on what people need to do to secure their computers. My point is that someone able to do that can surely do basic research like how to backup the registry!

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

WinRescue would fit the bill; http://www.macecraft.com/

7. Bethrezen

hi

well first id like to address Use GOOGLE

I know that you aren't deliberately trying to be offensive but don't you think that its a little presumptuous to assume that I haven't already tried running a search for this info ?

in-fact I have and I do have instructions however from what I have seen manual backup and restoration of the registry can be troublesome and complicated which is why I was looking for a small free app for 95 98 and me like ERUNT that can do this task for me

so now you should understand why I come here and ask things like this

there are many users here that are far more experienced that my self and I would be a fool not to tap all that knowledge and experience

GForce, bentrider1 thanks for your suggestions

Blackcat the link you gave for win rescue is wrong you gave the link to jv16 powertools

not that thats a bad program mind you defenatley worth a mention :)

8. Bethrezen

[Edit] replaced by a more complete version

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You supplied a very good link....easy to digest and a very simple approach....regardless of a users knowledge\capabilities.
    While I can't argue the point that Google is a very good starting point no matter what an individual is searching for....the Wilders Forum is here to assist no matter what a user has a question about....excluding items counter to our TOS.

That member has written some very fine dissertations in the past on other subjects and many appreciate his fine work.

Point taken....but that's not my, your or our concern. The member chose to ask the question in the manner he did and it's well within Wilders guidelines for posting.

Let's all stick to the question at hand Please....and keep the side circus for another Forum.

Regards,
    Bubba

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

11. Bethrezen

Hi Bubba

Agreed so back to the task at hand

[Edit] replaced by a more complete version

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

13. Bethrezen

hi don

thanks for the link

14. Bethrezen

hi all

ok i just about finished this section someone wanna ckeck it for me ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.