Backing Up a Registry - How

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sometimes I see a program or a tool to get rid of malware, and the instructions say to back up your registry first. When I see that I forget it, as I have no idea how to back up a registry.
    I have an external hard drive that has Retrospect as part of the software. I think that is a back-up program, but do not know how to use it.

I suspect that if I tried to back up information there would not be an option that would say, “Registry” and I would just have to click on it.

So how does one go about backing up a registry, and especially without messing it up so that the computer crashes? Is Retrospect an adequate program for that purpose?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Erunt is the one I use. Erunt

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

click on start/ in the run box type regedit, click ok when it opens on the top of page click file and then click export and pick a place you want the registry back up placed.

Attached Files:

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Ron,
    I also have ERUNT, and I know it does some automatic back-up, but is it backing up the registry?
    I have never known what it really does, or how to use it if something happened. It would seem that since it is on the computer, if the machine crashed, one could not access the back-up.

BigC,
    I will try to see if I know what to do. I assume that the Retrospect will ask where I want the registry to go.

You folks can see that I am close to zero in understanding what to do. I assume that I cannot mess up my registry by attempting to back it up. Is that true?

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Yes, erunt does backup the registry. I recommend it too, it's an excellent utility.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jerry,

I would read the faq on the download site. It works as I've used it in the past. You might also want to take a look at First Defense-ISR for real peace of mind. :D

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Ron, Are you talking about the download site for ERUNT?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i think there are two versions of ERUNT - erunt.zip and erunt-setup.exe.

i'm fairly sure erunt.zip will only backup the registry when you run ERUNT. erunt-setup.exe will backup the registry once a day at boot and when you want to do it manually. the automatic backups are kept for 30 days, you can find them at
    WINDOWS>ERDNT

if you do it using regedit make sure the whole registry tree is highlighted, i think it's called My Computer.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I found the ERUNT back up folders in Windows - ERUNT. I had not been able to find it previously.

Would there be a benefit to copying the latest to the external hard drive? I assume that I could do that.

Thanks,
    Jerry

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can put those backups anywhere you desire.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for being so helpful, All. One more question, and then I may know enough to "be dangerous."

If I needed to repair the registry, and I am not sure how I would know when it was required, how would I install the back up for some date? Would I just click on the folder and a dropdown would give me the option to install?

Jerry

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Double click on backup, erdnt.exe to restore your registry to the saved copy.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK. Thanks a lot, and maybe I can stay out of trouble. I fear fooling with the registry, but so far have not had to. I had installed ERUNT several months ago, but did not really know what to do with it.
    I figured if I got a problem that required its use, someone here would tell me what to do with it.

Thanks, again.
    Jerry

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Take care. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.