BackGround Intelligent Transfer Service Stops

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I use Win XP SP3 and have recently been having problems with Windows update not updating.

I traced this to BITS (Background Intellingent Transfer Service) being stopped. Once I re started BITS Windows Update works OK.

The problem now is that when I reboot or re start the computer BITS reverts to stopped. (Yep I did click on Apply when I restarted BITS)

Anyone any ideas how to solve this please. ie to keep BITS started permanently

Thanks

Terry

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Just to be clear, after you started the service, did you also change the startup type to automatic or manual and click apply and then ok?

startuppic.JPG

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi innerpeace

Yes I clicked on Automatic, then Start, then Apply then OK

Also did this with Manual

Thanks

Terry

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Terry, I had to ask about the startup type ;) . From what I'm reading manual is default and I'm not sure it needs to be running all the time.

* Were you having trouble with automatic or manual updates?
    * How did you trace it to BITS?
    * Have you done any of your own service tweaks or other tweaks that may have caused this problem?
    * When did this problem start?
    * Is your Task Scheduler service set to start automatically? (See last link for needed auto update services)

Here is a troubleshooter you could try if you already have not. http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Here is more info on BITS. Have a look at the "Take note:" part that list all services needed to automatic updates to work. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/Services/Background_Intelligent_Transfer_Service.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.