backdoor sd.bot

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CLEARICE01, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLEARICE01

CLEARICE01 Registered Member

i really hope some one can answer my question??how with a antivirus program of nod32's status could i every get the virus backdoor sd bot on my system in the first place?and whats even more troubling is it was a symantec product that found and got rid of it.all i can say is my hole out look is alot difreent now.symantec finding things that nod32 cant.if some one told me that i would say no way untill now. shame on nod32 :mad:

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

First af all no AV is perfect, so a av can detect a malware and the other not.
    Please try to use /ah command, I'm sure that it backdoor is detected by AH.
    Also send it to: samples@nod32.com so they can study them and add detection.

3. CLEARICE01

hi.sir carew.i was so pissed that i uninstalled and left symantic on my system ontill i came around and uninstalled symantec and deleted the virus that was quarentined in symantec.the funny thing is i was testing symantec antivirus client for a buudy of mine and found the virus.i know nod32 have been slipping a bit but symantec come on time to start showing that you are the best.but not like this o_O o_O o_O o_Ops i love nod32 but where did the saftey net go..........

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

In the last week ther have been almost 20 new varieties of sdbot

Symantec having a bigger user base sometimes gets new viruses submitted quicker than NOD with it's smaller user base,

the only way any AV can detect is if it has the sigs in it's database.
    or the heuristics is similar to another version

SDbot is a trojan and is difficult to detect heuristically because of the different versions

I notice on the NOD site it lists hundreds of different sdbot versions that it detects most of them coming through IRC channels

Also symantec allegedly detects several supposed sdbots that are not active trojans/worms and cause no harm whatsoever

5. CLEARICE01

hi.dvk01.yes i know that symantec is bigger and can detect more viruses and trojan's.its just that i have been reading the vb100 reports and nod32 always does better than symantec.note iam talking about symantec not norton. symantec is corporate while norton is home use.and like i said in my first post it was just a fluke i found it.i was testing symantec for a bud of mine

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I am not saying that Symantec/Norton detect more, just that sometimes they get the new viruses/trojans reported to them earlier than NOD

I don't think the corporate versions are any better than the home editions in detecting, just have additional functions or set up procedures and are normally split with some protection placed on the incoming server rather than on a work station and a different form on the work station

7. CLEARICE01

hi.dvk01.dont get me wrong i dont our will i ever use symantec or norton i love nod 32 and its reinstalled i like to think iam a faithfull user.its good that you reposted it did soung like you where saying that symantec was the safer of the two.if you get the updates first from one orthe other your that much safer.i have got a new trojan detector and am running nod32 again..........

8. controler

controler Guest

Let me clear this up about Norton/Symantec

Peter Norton started the Norton AV many years ago. His company is called
    Symantec. His Av is called Norton. All of his products are called Norton.

Thanks

Bruce

9. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    It isn't true, Peter Norton has started Norton AV it's true, but his company isn't symantec, symantec has bought NAV many years ago and now NAV isn't of Peter Norton.

10. CLEARICE01

hi.i dont know who owns it all i know is there is a corporate side and thats symantec norton is for home use...............

11. sig

sig Registered Member

Symantec kept the Norton name to retain brand name recognition. As noted, Peter Norton hasn't had any involvement in the product which bears his surname since Symantec bought the company from him years ago.

But anyway, back to the topic. ;)

12. CLEARICE01

ya time to get back on track the mods and paul wilders will not like the symantec talk on nod32's forum.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.