backdate computer clock, kav key will expire immediately

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jarod, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarod

jarod Guest

If your kaspersky antivirus 4 still has months [ or haven't expired yet] to go before to expiry, and you backdate your computer clock to 1 or 2 years backward, you will find the key will expire immediately, even though you set the computer clock to current date, and it won't remedy the expired key file. How to fix this problem? Reinstall the whole program won't help. Why is this happening?

WARNING: don't try to backdate your computer if you are using kav 4. you will be regretted and finds the above happening.

2. Pan

Pan Guest

Don't know.

Why did you do it?

If that's how their key files work - based on PC clock. That's such a cheap and amateur way of using key files.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Clearly you need to contact KAV support directly about the problem with your license. Explain what happened and ask about a fix. (I can see several ways a PC clock can be accidently set to odd times and dates. There should be no reason for that to permanently invalidate your license key.)

4. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Dear Jarod,
    The keys are date sensitive, and changes in the system date will expire the key file.
    Just email support@kasperskylab.co.uk with your purchase details - date, order number etc and we will make a new key file for you.

If payment went to Russian site - www.kaspersky.com email them at support@kaspersky.com.

Regards
    Lisa

5. CARCHARODON

CARCHARODON Registered Member

please enlighten us.. how else could this be done?

6. Pan

Pan Guest

I'm no programmer...

But I have loads of software that I have registered...

And none of them will expire by simply changing the date on the PC Clock. Ive had some really unknown software before though where it does it. So there are obviously many other ways to do it. I don't know them no. But if I was selling a commercial product where it would be needed I would find out. ;)

Does changing date expire all the software on your PC? Probably not. :)

7. CARCHARODON

CARCHARODON Registered Member

I've seen a couple of programs that do this. Its to prevent the old trick...my license has expired, I'll just set the clock back and get a free year. This is kind of dieing off now that most apps get updates from the internet...

anyway, just curious.. :D

take care.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Very true indeed ;).

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.