back ups are OK except for C partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by redmike, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmike

redmike Registered Member

If as at test I back up and verify any of my secondary partitions E, F, G etc Acronis says they're OK.

However when I back up my C partition it says the backup is "corrupted".

Have tried copying the whole drive and just the C partition - have tried backing up the C drive as one chunk and also splitting it into smaller segments.

If I use smaller segments the first segment is corrupt and the later ones seem to be OK.

Only talking here of backing up on the same hard drive - to a D partition - reserved only for Acronis backups.

Really starting to feel worn down by the whole thing :oops:

All I want to do is make one successful backup of my whole system that's split into 200 MB segments and then burn it to DVD

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks,

Mike

XP Pro SP2

I just ran check disk and following that finally got a copy of all partitions without corruption.

I'm happy to admit that this was obviously due to a disc error on my system but it does rise to two questions ..

1 what use is a message that says, "bu completed sucessfully" if it wasn't. The program either needs to veryfy after the back up or give a message saying "we strongly suggest that you now veryify your backups".

2 I don't know how difficult this would be but it would be nice if the program were able to give some idea of why a bu failed .. like disc error - run checkdisk .. or whatever.

No. 2 may be difficult buy no. 1 is definitly something that needs to be taken care of.

regards,

Michael

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried booting from the TrueImage recovery CD and making the image of C from there. That eliminates any programs running in Windows that may be corrupting the image.

You could also try rebooting to Safe Mode and making the image that way, but the Recovery CD is even "safer as far as not having background applications running. :)

3. redmike

redmike Registered Member

thanks.

I made a back up last night using the recovery cd; ran the "check image" just now and the first section was "corrupt". Great start to the day :-(

regards,

Michael

4. jmk94903

Hi Michael,

That makes my day better, too! So, it seems that some piece of software running under Windows is what's fouling your backups. You might figure that out and shut it down if you have time, or just keep on using the CD. But, you now have good images which makes computing a lot more pleasant.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi John,

If you read Mike's post again I think you'll conclude the exact opposite!!!

Regards
    Tom

6. jmk94903

Wow! I replied late at night. When I saw it just now I wondered why I did that?

Sorry Mike, I wasn't trying to be funny, I was just tired.

From the update to your earlier message, it looks like you solved the problem by running CHKDSK and allowing it to fix errors on the C partition.

As a general rule, before making an image, I run ErrorChecking (Scandisk in Win9x), DiskCleanup (I usually delete old Restore Points in Win XP to keep the backup as small as possible) and defrag the partition. Then I make the backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.