Back up RAID 5 to external hard drives

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ThwingAlbert, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThwingAlbert

ThwingAlbert Registered Member

What I have is a new server that came with a hardware RAID controller pre-installed and configured for RAID5. I also have 8 external hard drives to use as backup. I was just going to use the external drives as a place to store an image of the entire server, might as well I have the space.

The RAID5 on the server is 531 Gb and the external drives are 149 gb each (4*149= 596Gb). This way there are four that can stay connected to the server for daily backup and, four drives that can be removed and taken off site after a once-a-week backup.

The hard drives and server were purchased by the company before I worked here so I have to deal with the hardware I have.

My problem is that I can't get the server to recognize the external hard drives as one RAID. I am pretty sure that with external usb hard drives you need to use basic disks not dynamic. How do i get the computer to recognize the drives as one single space??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

In my opinion this would probably be better suited to be placed under Software, Hardware and General Services maybe since it does not really pertain to Acronis.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Agreed. Thread has therefore been moved accordingly.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.