Back up antivirus for Winows 2000 Pro...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am looking for a backup on-demand AV scanner that will work on Windows 2000, I am currently using AVG 6.0 free (though thinking of upgrading to the 7.0 beta, anyways) and when I use to use 98SE I used F-Prot for DOS as a backup scanner, however, F-Prot for DOS doesn't work when scanning the hard drive (works fine for scanning a single file with a Send To shortcut) - So, I was wondering what a good backup AV scanner would be that fully supports Windows 2000?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

command antivirus works very well. I think you would probably like it. Very good detection rates low resources use and inexpensive. can be purchased here

3. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

If I were you I would consider getting an anti-trojan rather than a back-up a/v (TDS3, BoClean and TrojanHunter are all good). If you definitely want another a/v, I would consider BitDefender Free. As its name implies it is free of charge, is only 'on-demand' with no resident protenction. It updates daily and has a great gui. When I clean up friends PC's usually the first thing I do is install BitDefender Free, update it, and run a scan. It seems to find quite a lot of stuff other a/v's (such as AVG) have missed. Although it's probably not quite in the same league as KAV, for the price it can't be beaten ;) . Hope that helped.

4. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I used BitDefender free before, however, doesn't that have to be running int he background anyways even though it doesn't have a background guard? I know you can disable it but on 98SE when I used BitDefender free if I turned it off at start up and then started BitDefender it'd always say I had 0 definitions in the data base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.