back to layered protection

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by larryb52, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

after getting my wifes computer back to square one, I will over the weekend get back to the old firewall-av-spyware I use to have as protection. I have to believe that suites just don't cut it & I'm actually surprised how well the spyware scanners pick up what AV's miss. Not blaming the AV . I just don't feel there's one true product that can do it all anymore...

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

A lot of people have always felt that way. I think you're right, a layered approach, with software that is specialized in one area, is the way to go. And it's not like they are all that expensive either; haqve you seen what ESET wants for ESS?

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I've always been safe with drweb, so can't really agree

but of course ess is too expensive, I am surprised they charge so much for just one year services

4. larryb52

got it cheap 45 bucks 2 license otherwise I totally agree with the pricing structure too steep...

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I can get you some great protection for 17 bucks for 3 computers.;)

6. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I feel the same way Larry. Suites are too much like putting all your eggs in the same basket. Plus they might be good at catching one thing but suck at another. By layering and using different company's products you can pretty well get the strongest protection going at all levels. Don't overdo it though. Having 50 security apps going full time isn't the way to go either.

7. larryb52

no 3, I have look n stop, I can run Nod32 as an av & looking at the superantispyware Pro you recommended & I think that would be it. I'd really like to get that on my daughter's machine, that would really test it ;-) but whatever I think that those 3 are the basis, firewall-av-antimalware/spyware...

8. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

That should do it ok, Larry. One thing I have started to toy with is running on a Limited User Account. I had always run as an administrator figuring that it would be a PITA to switch back and forth and that I would have problems running some apps but after running this way for the past little bit it has been no problem at all. My thinking is that if I don't have the rights to install something malware shouldn't be able to either although I imagine there is some malware out there that can get around this.

Presently running a router, Windows firewall, AV/Prevx/SAS Pro, and Firefox with no script and feel pretty safe.

9. larryb52

sounds safe to me, I like SAS so running it as blocker would only be better, also I only use Opera as my browser & I use it's mail client, I like it no scripts running...

10. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I always have a good clean image off the system just in case something bad happens that way re-imaging takes care of most of the problems. I would also recommend Firefox or setting the IE7 security to high (disables ActiveX) to prevent further unauthorized intrusions.

Best of Luck,
    SourMilk out

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Don't wanna take the fun out of the game:

But why do you have anything to pick at? Why get infected at all? There should be nothing for any software to find, regardless of what other software did or did not find. Your approach to layered is nice - but it's flawed. You're missing the most important bit:

How not to get infected, in the first place.

If you AX picks what AZ didn't, means you failed a lot before these software kick into action. And this is prevention.

Mrk

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Agreed, the layered approach is the way to go IMO.
    And having too many can overlap/conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.