Back in the day....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bubba, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

before BlackViper and programs such as Windows Worms Doors Cleaner, Steve Gibson's Three Musketeers....We used to have to read about Window services and the ports they open :blink:

Having decided to wipe the slate clean yesterday....I found myself once again searching for this old subject matter. After just a few searches I was fortunate to come across a thread from one of the masters of the Internet :eek:

'Lo and behold'....it was right here in our own back yard. Contained in that thread was a link with other links that explained once again how one can minimize Network Services On Windows Systems.

Thanks for the trip Paul :thumb: ;)

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Good Topic B!

Actually, since my first attempts to recapture my computer co-incided with finding BlackViper's page, I thought I would say a few words about why I think this pasty skinned gentlemen's site was so useful. I was because he struck a good balance between providing infomation, and making it easy enough that even if you did not understand it, you could still find out how to do it.

I will follow up on those links.

GF - I sort of agree with your approach, but I do not know of any resources that streamline the process. What I mean by that is, I think it is much more direct to edit the registry, than to use a program that does it for you, however, I just don't seem to come accross sites that say, "Here are the edits you need to accomplish what WWDC does..." I wish that were not the case. I think it would be interesting to see how to do directly what other programs do for you through an interface. That is not to say that I want to research the subject...but at least there is a chance I might learn a thing or two in the process.

-HandsOff

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I thought this might catch your attention Hand's. Not too difficult meaning you can set it all up with a simple reg file.
    I'll provide an example in the next day or two as time permit's .... or as soon as I can put together a good "follow-along."

Such edit's may also be staged through individual command's via a prompt if your feeling exceptionally daring?

GF

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.