B&R Home 12 differential backup question!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ratchet, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'd backed up last week using the "Smart Backup" wizard. Over the years I've only stored one or two images on a 60GB external HD. I would then just "Quick Format" the drive and re-image. I was reading the "Totally confused...v10.2" thread and realized I could do a Differential Backup so that is what I did today. So in theory, does todays image, with the exception of files I may have removed from the PC since last weeks image (They would still be part of the new incremental I presume!) look exactly like a Smart Backup one would have looked like if I had chose to use my old method?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My understanding, and please note that I don't do differentials, is that:

If you restored the first (base) image only your later deleted files would be present.

If you restore the whole backup (base + differential) the deleted files would not be present on the restored drive because the differential says they are deleted. The base and differential should put your disk to the state it was at when the differential was done.

If you run some kind of a consoliation command on the archive, what Paragon calls a "Synthetic Backup" where the base and the differential are turned into a single new archive, the deleted files would be gone.

I'm not sure where "part of the new incremental" you mentioned comes into play.

Like I said, this is how I understand the process to work based on other programs.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Sorry, I actually meant wouldn't be part of (as they were deleted before the differential backup). Literally a typo error. and thank you!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.