B&R 10 Free: Linux not booting, DOS backup very slow

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by whiterock, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiterock

whiterock Registered Member

I tried to do a cold backup starting from a recovery CD I created with the software.
    My environment: Intel Centrino (Pentium M) 1.7 GHz, Win XP SP3, WD USB 2.0 HD as backup media

When trying to start in Normal mode, I got the error:
    Ancient Boot Loader
    Kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
    pae
    Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

I could boot into Safe Mode (the DOS environment) and start a backup, but it was extremely slow. A partition with 17 GB of data was expected to take 4 1/2 hours to back up. (I canceled after 1 1/2 hours).

When I did a hot backup from within Windows, it took less than 40 minutes to complete, which is very reasonable. (But I don't fully trust a hot backup.)

This leaves me with several questions and concerns:
    - Why is the backup in DOS from the boot CD so much slower? Does it not support USB 2.0?
    - Will a restore be just as slow in the DOS environment? I would assume so, and it would be pretty bad.
    - Is there a way to load the "Normal" (Linux) environment for my computer and would backup and restore be faster with it?

Thank you,
    Werner

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Whiterock,

DOS or Safe mode does not support USB 2.0. Surprisingly, sometime it will see your USB 2.0 as an internal hard drive, which isn't correct, and evidently, performance suffers drastically.

Your other alternative is to build a BartPE. Please refer to the tutorial here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771&highlight=bartpe

3. whiterock

whiterock Registered Member

Got it to work with BartPE

Thank you, Tommy.

I got it to work with BartPE (after I deleted the registry keys before starting B&R).

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Glad it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.