AyRecovery didn't exactly work!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I wanted to compare a program called Free Extended Task Manager to the Sysinternals program. I downloaded it, made a snapshot, analyzed with ZSoft Uninstaller just in case and then installed it. After recovering to that snapshot the program was still in my start menu. Then I recovered to my scheduled midnight snapshot and it was still there. So what went wrong here? Thank You!

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I would recommend a solid disk imaging program then relying heavily on ISR softwares.

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

ratchet, that is stranger than strange and if those snapshots were truly taken before installing Ext Task Mgr, that would indicate that AyR is not working properly (although I use EF and not AyR they and RB are purported to be clones).

I suggest removing Ext Task Mgr (make sure that the uninstaller removes the folder from Program Files). Next run CCleaner (using both cleaner and registry options). After that, take another 'before' snapshot, followed by reinstalling Ext Task Mgr. Then try to restore the 'before' snapshot. If the problem repeats itself, I would then remove AyR and reinstall it. If AyR still doesn't work, then it's definitely not an EF/RB clone and I would remove it permanently!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. ratchet

So Aaron here is what I did. I had already uninstalled the task manager with ZSoft because I had analyzed the hd before installation. In fact, I thought that perhaps that may have caused the issue, thinking that maybe ZS somehow also utilizes system restore. I checked Program Files and AppData files and finally removed some entries via RegSeeker that ZS hadn't removed. Then I took another snapshot and reinstalled the task manager app. After selecting the pre-installation snapshot I did a recovery and the whole installation was still perfectly intact. So what do you think happened to Ay? I did notice recently that I had like 60 some reg file Registry Mechanic found which is completely out of the ordinary for that program. I'm wondering if it removed some of the Ay files. It had never, ever caused a problem so I didn't bother to check or save them. I'm going to defrag, take a Ghost image and then reinstall Ay tonight. I'll do some tests and see what happens. Thank You!

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

A few months ago my friend told me of EF problems he was encountering after indiscriminately using RegCure, so I believe it's definitely possible that RegMech or RegSeeker deleted some necessary entries. There are so many reg cleaners that in order to find more entries than the others some wind up being way too aggresive (and unsafe), so you should always inspect the entries it is about to delete before proceeding and uncheck any that 'don't seem kosher'.

In any case, your plan sounds ok - let us know how it works out, and good luck.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. ratchet

Aaron, it's working normally again. Thank You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.