AVS Firewall - it's free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I ran across a new-to-me freebie at Cnet.com called AVS Firewall. It seems to be a "pure firewall" (no HIPS etc) so I'm not interested myself at the present time but it aroused my curiosity nevertheless.

Has anyone here tried it, or read any reviews? If so, please share.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way- it's inconvenient when a program has a name that is shorter than 4 letters in length because the Wilders searcher won't handle short look-ups. There is a way, of course. To search Wilders for AVS (for example) do the following Google. . .

avs site:wwwDOTwilderssecurityDOTcom

I did that & found another bad aspect of naming a firewall "AVS." To wit -- AV is an oft-use abbreviation for antivirus, and its plural is AVs. :p

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Looks like a promising one. I may try it soon. At a first glance I see that the setup file has a valid digital signature.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I've used some of the multimedia products from this company and found them to be decent quality,of course that's not an indication of the Firewall's effectiveness.

6. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Might want to check out this- http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/avs4you.com

According to the commits none of their products are really freeware. They are just free downloads or free trials not free to continue using.

You can find many of their products on Softpedia and other download sites and they say that they are freewares but they are only trialwares.

I installed what was suppose to be one of their free products in the past and it opened my browser to the registration page and wanted me to buy it to continue using it.

Thanks.:)

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

9. noway

noway Registered Member

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

11. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I wanted to try it out, and when i installed it...it hat by default ticked boxes next to the boxes "Install AVS registry cleaner". So if you want to try the firewall untick these.

It will install AVS software manager as well without giving a option not to. After i installed the firewall i rebooted only to discover that my internet connection was gone. Trying to rebuild the connection or finding a solution through Windows failed to rebuild the connection, so i used a image made just before installment to restore my PC.

12. bellgamin

I'm sorry you had that problem.

I installed & ran AVS FW in shadow mode -- it wanted a restart but ran okay without it. I ran AVS FW for several hours with zero problems. Connectivity was fine. No nags. Computer was quite zippy when surfing. (Your mileage may vary).

13. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Yeah i hat a feeling it was a problem on my side. I guess it is some kind of conflict with another software program i use, oh well.

14. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

From Softpedia:

Attached Files:

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

16. bellgamin

From Cnet . . .

ScrHunt01 05-Oct-10.gif

HOWEVER, because of MeFer's post, I checked several other download sites and they ALL gave AVS FW as a free-trial. In other words, NOT free forever.

Therefore, I now believe that I got suckered (& so did Cnet) and hereby apologize in sackcloth and ashes to all concerned. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  17. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Ok guys here is how this site works, you have two subscription options:

1. Unlimited $59 for lifetime subscription
    2. 1 year subscription $39

Note: This subscription includes all of their software (18 in total), you use the same exact key to active them all.

But before you decide to buy a subscription read the WOT review- http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/avs4you.com
    And do some more searching on the web to make sure that you are comfortable with buying from them.

Some users claim that they steal your credit card info or make other charges without notifying you.
    Other users claim their product are roguewares. If you ask me, I consider this company to be rogue because they say their products are free
    on their homepage and list them at download sites as freeware when they are not free.

Softpedia actually reviews and test products for malware that's why they knew their products are only 15 day trialwares.

Thanks.:)

18. acr1965

Other AVS software on download.com says free to try.

http://download.cnet.com/AVS-DVD-Authoring/3000-7970_4-201444.html?tag=mncol;lst

Have you checked to see if the license info on the installed firewall now says trial? Also, I wonder what happens once the trial ends...

Anyway, this is surely a rebranded firewall, isn't it? If so, which one?

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Having tested this so far only briefly in the XP vm, it exhibits buggy behaviour when creating rules (I had deleted the svchost rule but was still able to execute ping and ipconfig afterward), page faults on one of the processes is excessive, and rules granularity is severely lacking. Logging (called Journal) lacks detail. Registry defender and parental control options are simply disabled upon installation, rather than excluded. It just smacks of "cheap & cheeziness" all over. I wouldn't want this for free let alone pay for it.

20. noway

noway Registered Member

Maybe "End of Life" is irrelevant to you, but maybe not to others. Since it hadn't been pointed out yet, I thought I better. Just so everyone has all the info at their disposal when deciding whether to use it or not. I hadn't intended to upset you. You can use it if you want. I don't mind. Really.

21. acr1965

Many people don't use Iolo because they previously misrepresented their antivirus product as in house developed.

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Why are we going off-topic? o_O There is an active thread on Iolo Firewall. Will it not be wise to continue discussion there?
    @wat0114: Is it free or trial?

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

As others have mentioned and from what I can tell, it's trial ware.

This also seems to be true:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks wat0114

I have installed it in VM. So far so good.
    1. It does not register to Windows XP security center.
    2. Clicking on the option "How to get activation code" opens the page
    http://www.avs4you.com/Register.aspx
    So I am confused.

25. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

AVS4You.com, take a look at all the software they make, jack of all trades master of none...

I wouldn't use this crap...

I've seen them long before they got into the security scene, use to be only be multimedia software.

Anyhow a multimedia company now in the security business, LOL, no thanks...

Wonder if this is true;
    http://bigrobby.com/me/avs4you-scam.html

I come from a pretty big multimedia software background and in those circles on the web no one talks about using any of their software for multimedia, because it's not that great, none of it...

Here's a good one coming from Avira, LOL... :blink:

http://img51.imageshack.us/f/50301156.jpg/

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.