Aviras Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Some added features and addons in the beta version are.

On a full system scan you can set it to do a rootkit scan before the system scan. Of course you can do a single rootkit scan whenever you wish. Also with the scanner you now have the ability to scan Master boot sectors.

In the Extended threat catagory you now have Application,APPL,Backdoor clients,Double extension files,Security Privacy risk,Unusual runtime compression tools.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does the normal update in the program update all the features?
    i installed antivir on my sister's laptop in spetember and its working fine.
    i wondered if to get all the program updates you have to install a new build?
    or if its all updated via the inbult updator?
    i know those features are still in beta.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

everything I talked about is in beta. So why not install the beta on her PC. All of this will be ready soon, but no date.:D

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont really wanna install a beta on her laptop.
    lodore

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well then, just wait a little while and you wont have to.

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I tested the Avira suite as well. And must say it is really stable.
    No problems at all

7. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Avira's suite is fantastic and they are going step by step to add more features. I will probably either buy the suite or the standalone antivirus but I love the way my laptop runs with Avira. Congrats to the Avira team and to their listening to customers and betatesters.

Gary

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've been running the beta Avira Security Suite since it became available. Well, there was that time or two last week when I removed it to try the new Eset security suit. :rolleyes: :) But Avira is back on my PC, and running as smooth and light as ever. Oh yeah, detection rate is pretty good also. ;) :D Earlier, I clicked on a link to a site that I had a suspicion might be a little iffy. Avira SS jumped on it, and denied access. I feel very secure with Avira SS. This beta is very stable.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

when the beta is released, soon, with its added features, it will be hands down the best security suite on the market. To me it already is. You can look at Aviras detection ratings at IBKs, Castlecops and the ones no one likes if Eset isnt at the top. Avira has worked very hard for over a year to bring you the lightest and most secure suite out their. Like it or not, it still is the best thing going.;)

10. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

Well, I'd like to be able to say that Avira is the best - I like the interface and features, and it runs very light on my system.

However, it still has problems with updating on my machine, relating to the failure to update avcmd.exe.gz - it just won't do it. The rather feeble advice on the forums suggests that it is a problem of the ISP, not Avira's. Well maybe my ISP is to blame - I have them looking into it, but it's not solved yet.

The big question is - why does this problem have to exist? It's been know about since last year, and those that have the issue are seemingly out in the cold. When I sought advice from my ISP, I was told that they sometimes have issues with files that don't downlaod using their silent caching system, and it's usually programs that are not well written. Now, I'm not sure what they mean by that, but you'd think that Avira could put a bit of effort into exploring why some of their files can't be downlaoded - it's not a problem for almost every other AV product.

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

bugsy_pay.........

I've never had any problems with Avira (Premium, Suite) updates. Have you tried the Avira forum? They are usually pretty helpful over there.

http://forum.antivir.de/index.php

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

it will be released on 18th of April as offically stated on Avira's forum. ;)

13. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

Graystoke - thanks - I've been to the forums and posted there, and had some response form Avira staff. However, it seems to me that they have not adequately addressed the issue, as other people have reported similar problems. Here's my post:
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=18877

Here's another thread that goes back to October 2006 where the issue is covered at some length:
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=13339

I don't want to have to do manual updates all the time. It may well be a local ISP issue, but the question must be asked - why should the updates fail? According to my ISP, which is one of the best and most technologically forward-thinking in Australia, there is no logical reason for a software update not to work with their system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.