Aviras AV just added some new features.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

In the GUI it tells you after loading you havent done a full scan. Some new actions are nabled as choices in the guard and it looks like a few other things, but I have to go.

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

some few peoples using Vista are reporting some problems (BSOD) in the avira forum after this update.
    From the avira forum i quote this information about this new update (http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=26370):

Avira Premium Security Suite, AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium and Classic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

ah, they introduced the http scanner in the Security Suite only. :( That's bad. They force you to buy it if you want additional web protection. Anyway, there were some rumours about this, but I thought there will be a beta before.

Process protection is nice. :) I've tested one of its process with Advanced Process Termination from Diamond CS and all the 14 killing and crashing methods were succesfully passed. Good job. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

When is this going to happen? In the next version? I have to download and install the latest version or the normal updates are fine ?

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

normal updates of today.

6. Thanasis159

Oh, i just tried a manual update and the update is 31125 kbs!!! I guess that's it! Great job avira!

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

The update was only about 6000 kbs for me. Also, I'm running Vista and no BSOD so far. If you're running CCleaner go into settings under Applications and uncheck AntiVir. That 31125 kbs download is way too big.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

web scanning is very fast. They really were serious when they said September was going to be special. Anyone have a tissue please.:oops: :)

And both the AV and Suite are 64bit Vista ready. I am going to need a whole box of Kleenex I am so happy. Phooey F-Secure.:thumbd: Get everyone hyped up and it is the same old, same old. Avira stays silent and conquers the world.:thumb:

9. Thanasis159

Ohhh.... Didn't know that! Thanks for the tip! I kept having 10000 kbs updates and I didn't understand why!!!
    Question though! I love the process protection feature and i tried to terminate avguard.exe and sched.exe and i couldn't terminate them! That is good! But I was able to terminate avgnt.exe... Isn't this necessary as well or not?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  10. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Thanks all for the heads up!

Nice!

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes and at this rate, the top 3 may get changed quickly by years end. Kudos to Avira, the suite just went from its infancy to adulthood overnight.;)

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well they finally have a http scanner, time to give Avira a try.

13. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

With http scanning in Antivir now, I won't have no problem buying their software now as I was just waiting for this to come, sweet! Now the only wait I have is for them to smooth out the kinks.:ouch:

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am using it with Vista and XP and have found no kinks. They did a great job.

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

can i share a tissue i cant try it cause im on vacation for a whole darn month but go go avira

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont understand you jeff, one day you love it.. the next you hate it and on something else.

f-secure ALREADY has an http scanner, and has very fast web surfing, so there is no need for them to be 'phooey' about anything.

av's can only add so much, and just improve on what they have, which 2008 does.

if you have a winning formula, why change it... but improve instead.

17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

The Circle is complete, lol.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Chris, as always things go on behind the scenes that cant always be revealed. But you are learning my friend.;)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One thing I had asked for was the ability to right click on the Avira icon to go directly to Mailguard to log spam or good email. Now with the added modules in the suite, it is even more cumbersome.:(

20. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I'm using the personal edition classic and have a few questions after this update. Does it no longer use the 'local' communications? I no longer see it in my OA2 firewall status and TCP view. I also noticed in IceSword that there are a few unknown entries in the SSDT. Are these Avira enteries? Can anyone confirm either of these?

Thanks, innerpeace

edit: by local communications, I mean local TCPIP commincations. It was always listening on a port.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

found a couple of bugs. One is after awhile you doubleclick the Avira icon, vista wheel spins and stops, no GUI. Also I am noticing a very large hit on speed of my OS.

22. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Personal Premium is working very well on my XP Pro box. Will replace KIS7 with this and the newly released OA 2.0.1.215.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm only using Avira on demand. I don't have the Guard installed. So, the umbrella in the systray has always been closed. After today's update the umbrella is open but should not be but that is a rather minor cosmetic issue but it did make me wonder, at first, if the update had somehow installed the Guard. My update was stalled for six hours while I slept because Process Guard got concerned since everything was changed so I got on the computer today to a half installed update and a bunch of waiting alerts from PG.

The download (6MB) took 24 minutes on broadband. I feel sorry for anyone on dialup or using the classic version...especially if they are far away like I am in Hawaii. I may install the Guard to see what the new changes are like although the need for on access scanning of archives is debatable. I use the on demand scanner for anything I download so why do I need on access scanning of archives? I suppose Avira added this because other AV have it just as they added the unnecessary web scanner because other AV have it. I feel fully protected with just the on demand scanner, ProcessGuard and the Proxomitron.

24. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Just to make sure that the premium will get the http scanner right, not just the suite? thanks:D

25. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Yeah, I think it's just not fair for the Suite users to get the web scan feature but not the Premium users. BigC will probably chime in any moment now since he uses Premium. :) .

Later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.