Avira - Win7 issue [was - This is why piracy will continue to thrive]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by noel1947, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noel1947

noel1947 Registered Member

The header says it all.

And this is why I am so angry.

"Thanks for stuffing up a perfectly working Antivir Premium

As can be gathered from the title of this post I am not happy. Does Avira tech ever test their updates?
    Obviously Not as can be seen from todays update. A perfectly working program and now I have wasted hours
    following instructions from other messages trying to get Antivir Guard to activate. Without success.

Every time your Tech response is when you have created a problem you suggest a reinstall. Wow !!!
    This forum is full of posts like, cannot update, modules of Avira not working etc. Paying customers are
    spending more time trying to get their purchased software working correctly . This is one reason that piracy exists.
    Software producers continually create problems with their products until consumers say enough is enough and get tired
    paying for faulty products. Solution, they move on to another product and I would guess 99% of other security software including Avira
    have been "cracked" and readily available."

"Thanks for stuffing up a perfectly working Antivir Premium - Part 2
    Well after hours of reading this forum, uninstalling, reinstalling I finally got Antivir Guard activated.

Terrific ;) ;) ;) ;)

2 hours later --- Wait for it.
    I have owned this software for 18 months without a problem and extolled it's virtues to all and sundry.

The result now is you guessed it --- the famous continual accessing of the floppy drive 4 - 6 times per minute.

More wasted hours researching this problem on the forum --- its been a problem for some considerable time .

Well done Avira - and we pay you for software that breaks when you add a little update. Adopted suggestion by another
    frustrated forum member back in 2007 and added an exception for Antivir Guard --"Boot: A:" which worked for 2 hours
    then and now floppy drive is being accessed by Antivir Guard continually.

BUT NOT IF YOU DEACTIVATE Antivir Guard WOW THAT IS THE PROTECTION I PAID FOR --NOT

Maybe instead of trotting out advise about uninstalling etc, you employ your tech department to finally sort out this and other problems
    with your software.

You guessed it. I am pissed off.
    I bet you are not offering any refunds on this now useless piece of crap.

noels7 "

The question I pose is this: when will software producers/vendors get the message that without your customers paying for your software you will be out of business and have no-one to blame but yourselves?

Rant over

Regards

noel1947

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

1. Posting this hear really wont do any good as this is not the OFFICIAL Avira forum.

2. I have installed Avira on many systems every system is different it's a shame you ran into such a problem but its not normal to have happen.

3. Besides Avira I have installed many other AV systems on computers and had screw ups like this one happen. No its not limited to one AV all of them can have problems this just happened to you with this one.

4. If you want a refund. most company's including Avira normally work with people that are entitled to them, all you have to do is Ask one to see what can be arranged. as for them getting the message trust me they don't want you to have problems as it looks bad on them but that is unavoidable all programs are subject to this.

Again I'm sorry you ran into such a problem with Avira. It can happen to anyone on any virus software but coming here and spouting off really cant get you anywhere. I my self have had issues also not with Avira but another product when I talked to there CM's about it they had no problem reimbursing me for the product and even recommended a different product (not theirs) That we could try.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that is rare for Avira. I am sure they will issue you a refund. You can then spend it on something else.;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ppl actually still use floppy drives?

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

They cant control for everything on your computer. There may have been a conflict with something else. Happens to any software utility.

These issues have nothing to do with software piracy.

6. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I think you forgot to add that your problems appeared on windows 7 which is not yet fully supported.Although probably on most pc including one of mine Avira is working fine.
    I don't get it why you made such a big deal about this.Grow up

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well that makes things different. If you are using it on an unsupported platform, you do so at your own risk!

8. noel1947

Instead of suggesting I grow up, educate yourself, get some reading glasses
    Read my post and understand this.
    Avira and Win7 and Win7RC co-existed in complete harmony on my computer since Jan 09 until the update on 10 Jun commenced the saga.

The trouble is, you and the respondents on Avira forum skim through the post and obviously have trouble interpreting the information before you.

eyes --- brain

noel1947

9. virtumonde

I'm sure they will offer you a refund if this doesn't get fixed.What i meant is that you could have posted here only the technical info and skip the rant,your post is confusing and knowlegble people here who might help will have a though time knowing what happened by reding your first post.
    Also simillar problems can happen with other programs on an unsuported yet OS,so maybe next time you should try a freeware till win 7 gets Released.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Correct - The title of this thread is really misplaced.
    Time for your own reality check - a vendor is really not obligated and shouldn't be expected to test against unreleased OS's.

Blue

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It doesnt really matter if they co-existed before. The point is, Win7 is not an officially supported platform. Avira may have worked before which is great. But the product probably wasnt tested (extensively) against Win7 because the vendor never claimed to support it.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

When Windows 7 is finally released, that is when one should expect the product to be supported and fully functioning with that version of the OS.

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Which is not to say that Avira will never have problems on supported platorms. It just means that the risk is smaller because presumably the vendor is testing more etc.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Agreed, which is why I said expect. What we expect and what we get are two different things.

15. virtumonde

I can't reply on their forum due to their dumb rules
    Is this continously happenning,could you try disabling Nero(i presume you have Nero 9),indexing service(you definetly don't need it even if this may not solve your issue with avira).
    You could do the same with Nero Back-up.
    Disable and stop those two services,reboot and see if anything is changed regarding the floppy issue.

16. noel1947

Virtumonde and others who attempted to assist with my problem. Thankyou

Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject and might assist others who are experiencing problems with Avira.

I notice a small trickle on this forum in the last few days of others who are reporting/having issues with Avira. Granted each computer and it's user is an unknown quantity to each software manufacturer, but surely a small % of each dollar is put towards R & D and for fully investigating issues like mine and others.

In the case of Avira I believe they failed in this instance as encompassed below.

"Hi Mele20

Your response:

"Unfortunately, I think the constant accessing of the floppy drive was lost in the original problem for most reading your thread. I groaned when I first saw you write that. You said you searched the forum for other threads on this problem so I imagine you saw all/some of mine. I have had the problem three times since I got Avira in Jan 2007. I have never been certain what caused it except I'm fairly sure the first time was something to do with burning CD's using Nero 6 Ultra. But I have the same computer (three years old now) and I have been able to use Nero 6 Ultra to burn for a long while now with no Guard accessing the floppy drive (in my case exactly every 60 seconds). The other times, out of nowhere Guard suddenly started accessing the floppy drive. The last time this happened, I uninstalled and reinstalled Avira and that fixed it to my surprise and delight because I was prepared for a long, frustrating time trying to figure out what could be triggering it.

It is a very frustrating problem to have and I hope I never have it again. I wish I could offer help but I still really don't understand why it happens. You need to find a solution fast though because that continual accessing will wear out your floppy drive very rapidly (plus, the noise drives you nuts after awhile). Avira has never been able to reproduce it but that is not surprising because it is such a weird thing coming suddenly and then disappearing just as suddenly."

My response

"Thank you for replies to my problem. Appreciated.

Your 2007 posting was indeed one of the references that I used trying to overcome the continual accessing of the empty floppy drive. I also note that Avira tech were also contributors in that thread. They said they were unable to replicate the problem. While composing this message I also "googled - avira continually accessing floppy drive". The problem existed long before your 2007 post and Avira were definitely aware of it.

Suggestions have been made on this and another forum that malware could be a problem. I don't believe it exists on my machine. I have introduced malware/virus as a test (as suggested by Avira tech) in another thread. Both Avira and Prevx on my machine scream whenever anything sinister is introduced. Never since I installed Win7 in Jan 09 and recently Win7 RC (both totally clean installs) have I ever had a virus/malware on my machine unless I introduced it myself as above.

So lets debunk this suggestion that Avira doesn't support Win 7 yet.

Does that mean it didn't support OS's being used in 2006 and in your case 2007. The problem was apparently put in their 'too hard basket."
    Something Avira introduced in their Jun 10 update triggered the problems being experienced by myself and others and not only floppy drive issues.

Avira's policy of preventing other users(except trusted members - does that mean they are experts) to reply to topics is archaic and as noted elsewhere, in some instances, may actually prevent other users with similar problems being of assistance.

Just in case my words are seen as Avira bashing, nothing could be further from the truth. I believe Avira is a great product or I wouldn't have purchased it some 18 months ago. That is, until something like this happens.

Others had suggested various software such as Quicktime, Symantec could be considered as players. I don't have those products installed and never have. Another suggestion on another forum was the Windows indexing service. Mine is disabled.

So we come to this with my problem. Avira has not accessed my floppy drive now for some 8 hours o_O o_O o_O

Why - in desperation before finally kicking Avira off my computer I did what had been mentioned in Mele20's thread . I uninstalled my updated Nero 8 ( and manually removed any leftover items manually from the registry) . Re-installed my originally purchased Nero 6 but it would not burn at any speed for some reason. Got rid of Nero 6 fully and installed latest trial version of Nero 9. Problem has not replicated itself yet (after 8.5 hours).

Thank you again Mele20. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Finally, I believe Avira should step back; look at the problems it's customers are reporting and employ the necessary resources to eliminate them. The Avira forum is full of cannot update, similar problems like mine, etc etc ."

noel1947

PS: I stand by my original statement in para. 2 of my original post re: why piracy will continue to flourish.

Avira Forum post

No. After 9.45 hours problem has returned.

I would request Avira refund the balance remaining of my license which is due to expire on 1/1/2010.

Avira Antivir Premium is now remove from my computer.

noels7

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Good luck with your future product ;)

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You sir are a closed minded idiot.

You run beta software and expect it to run as if it was the final product you gripe and the slightest hint of a bug and start pointing fingers. As if you had something to gripe about in the first place.

I also run Windows 7 32bit and the 64bit Avira works fine have not had a issue yet. Just like alot of other people that have posted in the different post made about Windows 7 And what products work and what don't. Now I cant say the same for some other software I have tried, But that's just it this is a beta the damn opp is not even released yet. There will be bugs there will be things that run fine on one computer and crash the other one.

Company's are not going to start dumping crap loads of cash into a beta OS when there main customers are still using XP and Vista. When the OS is released then it will be supported until then use are your own risk and keep your @(!#)* to your self. :cautious:

I'm Sorry I come off rude but when someone acts like a child and has a tantrum over something that is not even finished yet. just erks me off. :blink:

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

A few comments/observations.

1) Can you please format your posts so that it is clear when you are quoting someone and when you are personally expressing something.

2) The generally negative responses you got on this forum was because you were just ranting. Usually when I've asked for help here, I get helpful and thoughful responses.

3) You still havent put forward a logical argument as to why you having a bug with Avira and a non-stable version of Windows 7 leads to software piracy.

20. fax

fax Registered Member

This is a rather good example on how users can get completely irrational when infected by the "must be compatible and run, BASTA!" disease.
    It is a quite common disease within the HLTS community (Have the Latest Tech Sh**). :D

Fax

21. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You are absolutelly right. If I were at support, I would write a simple answer - beta software is not supported. And that is that. Being angry does not help at all.

By the way, even if W7 would be released today, it does not mean, that it has to be supported right away. It took a year for a Comodo Firewall to be compatibile with Vista 64-bit. Anyway, I use Avira Free and it works flawlessly, I do not even notice I have it installed, unless it popups about some fake js mallware. :rolleyes:

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

:D Some of the pre-built PC's still bundle them.

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,
    • This discussion doesn't need to run in parallel in two forums. For the interested, Avira forum thread is here. The world really doesn't need parallel discussions on this topic. For that reason, the thread here is closed
    • huangker is correct. There is no logical connection between the issues being seen by the user here (use of a released product on the 64 bit version of an OS at the release candidate level) and software piracy. If you wish to have a debate here, some level of logical coherence is appreciated.
    • Simply because an issue appears upon an update of a program does not guarantee that the bug resides in that application. A quick search indicates additional reports of this type of event occurring. However, it is not a high frequency event. It appears related to other applications polling the presence of external devices. Since even within that scope, it doesn't appear to be universal behavior, there may be a hardware specific component to this result. My own read is that there is a subtle interaction of a number of factors to lead to this end result - given that, it's no surprise that it is difficult to fully resolve. That doesn't help the impacted, but it does provide a broader context in which to view the situation.
    Time to move on....

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.