Avira webguard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by twistedvincent, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedvincent

twistedvincent Registered Member

Does anybody know how I can successfully use Avira WITH webguard enabled without it slowing my downloads?? I previously read a post that basically said the slowdown was a figment of my(our)imagination, and there wasn't really a slowdown at all...........which is crap.
    Any ideaso_O

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Can't truly answer that, but actually you don't really need it i've found when i had Premium :D

Avira will intercept any nasty it's aware of on download, and if you set heuristics to high/max it will even intercept things not yet in it's definitions. As Avira is tops for detections, you're very well protected :)

3. Jager

Jager Registered Member

I was looking at getting Avira after seeing it's good detection rates in the last year. I found my browsing/file download slowed down, found it was the Webguard. It's caching everything on a page or file download first and scanning it, then delivering it to your browser(I did some searching for answers). So if you want to leave it on you'll get a delay in browsing webpages, and file download speed will look cut down. To see the real speed for a larger file download you can enable webguards progress bar in configuration. Webguard also makes speedtest.net screw up(it's delivered faster to the browser after the caching delay, so it make it thinks you have an extremely high dl speed whn you don't).

Even though it makes it very secure, it's too intrusive to me. I'd like to be able to browse normally. I'm wondering how safe it is to turn off though?

Do other antiviruses have equivelents of webguard? Or do they just have on-access file scan like Avira's "Guard' (not Webguard) feature. I'm wondering if I'm still getting similar protection if I turn it off, or I should try another antivirus/security suite that handles things differently.

4. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

Because WebGuard acts like a proxy, the reported speed might be inaccurate.

As Jager said, the files you want to download are in fact downloaded by WebGuard. When the downloads are completed, WebGuard scans the files and if everything is clean, the files are sent to the browser. That's why the download speed seems to be low.

You can perform the download of a big file with WebGuard enabled and then disabled and measure download times using a stopwatch. Then please compare the 2 times.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I've found that observing the download manager progress in Opera when downloading a file with webguard enabled,the progress bar will often go seemingly slowly up to about 60-65% then rapidly complete.Overall on the few comparisons I've measured the overall time taken with and without WG the difference has been negligible.

6. johnyjohn

You're absolutely right !

7. bollity

bollity Registered Member

i think webguard is useless for advanced users.
    every antivirus with webguard feature will slow down the connection.
    my advice is : go for avira free + malewarebytes free.

8. johnyjohn

9. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Sqeezed between the Pacific and Indian Oceans
    Hi,

Months later and I would have to agree that Avira WebGuard does slow down my Internet Speed. I run Avira AntiVir Premium and WebGuard is a waste of time.

A lot of us out here may already be using a proxy such as Proxomitron or even Sandboxie then why do we need a second proxy like WebGuard to download, cache, scan and then upload data to your browser.

It does take time and it does slow down the Internet generally, certainly streaming, and yes downloads.

I turn the "sucker" off and everything is better.

WebGuard and Luke are just doubling up and wasting time and speed.

R.I.P. Avira WebGuard.

laopa:rolleyes:

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This has already been discussed at length, and with a layered defense one can do without web guard. A lot of people are running only with Avira in which case running web guard would add to their security.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If web guard slowed my browsing down in the least, I would not use it. It doesnt on all computers and actually works very well. In older versions this may have been true, but I honestly dont think so any more.

13. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Same with me. It doesn't give me any delays

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm the same.:thumb:

15. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Hi,

Not wishing to cause a problem here and get Modded or Banned but one of the prime quoted arguments against Avira WebGuard being a problem is supplied by "johnyjohn", now if you bother to go and look on the Avira Support Forum you will find that one of the Moderators is a "dude" named, yes, you guessed it, Profile of johnyjohn = Avira Rank Moderator. So either your own Wilder Security "johnyjohn" is just an independent "expert" and Avira Guru, or not maybe not so independent $%&*@!?

I leave it to greater minds than my own to work out, but dispite "johnyjohn's rentopinion" Avira WebGuard still "cripples" your Internet Speed, particularly if you are using another primary proxy server.

Could be farewell or removed but not justified.

laopa:doubt:

16. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just like other Norton "experts" and "unbiased independent reviews" from the other threads? I'm not sure really.

I don't see any reason why anyone should do this, it's your opinion and/or your own experience on Webguard.

For most of users, however, it's working very well.

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! I'm currently using Avira Premium...and haven't had any problems with Web Guard or Pro-Activ...Avira is quick and nimble...but as we all know depending on your apps and system...everyone at times encounters varying results. Sincerely...Securon

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The only times I have noticed a slight slow down with the webguard is on relly graphics intensive pages, otherwise no noticeable slow downs at all.

19. kuki68ster

kuki68ster Registered Member

Unfortunately i also noticed slowdowns when using avira with webguard...I hope they solve this ''issue'' as fast as possible....

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I sometimes get page loading delays/stalls using Chrome as my browser, Firefox and IE seem fine though.

21. laopa

laopa Registered Member

Hi,

Got this feedback on the WebGuard issue this morning from a post on the Emsisoft Forum. Thought it was interesting.

Full post is at. (if that is allowed?)

laopa:blink:

System: 2.85 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM, External 1.5TB HDD, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) (32 bit) with HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L [CD-ROM drive] and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter], LGE W2252 [Monitor] (23.0")

Security Software:
    Firewall: Online Armor Firewall Premium Version 4.5.0.234,
    AntiVirus: Avira GmbH - AntiVir Desktop Premium Version 10.0.0.603.
    Passive Protection: Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster.
    On Demand Scanners: Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free, SUPERAntiSpyware Free, and Malwarebytes AntiMalware Free, all three used as on demand passive scanner.
    Also utilize HostsServer with HostMan Host Files and Sandboxie.
    FanBoy URLFilter.ini for Opera Browser (10.6).
    PH’s JS for Opera WOT.
    Wladimir Palant’s WSH Script for Flash Cookies.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  22. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

Johnyjohn is a mod on our forum, but not an employee.
    Our mods are not receiving payment of any kind, afaik the only thing they get is an invitation to our yearly summer party, can't remember him attending though ;)

I guess he can certainly be called a fan of our product/company, otherwise he wouldn't spend so much time in our forums trying to help our users.

You are entitled to have different opinions than him of course (and me, as my post has been referenced in here), but please refrain from accusing him of 'being bought' when he expresses his views. Our loyal fans are important to us, but we do not pay them. I'd prefer any true fan over a horde of 'opinion mercenaries'.

If anyone can be called biased in this discussion, its probably me. Because i DO get payed by Avira :)

Still, what I post here are my personal views and beliefs that I would not compromise for any money in the world. Of course, again, you have to trust me on that, which admittedly is kind of hard nowadays ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  23. century

century Registered Member

I am a bit old & old-fashioned. Can't understand what is the tearing hurry in downloading an important file from the internet, while compromising security. After all it is just a few seconds delay.

24. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

The problem is not simply with file download. As mentioned, there is quite a delay when opening pictures (graphics) intensive web-pages. I like Avira very much but can't they redesign their web-guard - they should've got tired already of answering endless, ongoing questios about web-guard slowing down internet (see their forum as well). Can't they implement it like ESET (for example) - to have an option to not scan the whole file (as in Active protection in NOD32) but the last few bits, and those who want, like in ESET, can enable the safer option of scanning it in its whole? Also include an option to set redirection through their proxy only for web browsers and e-mail clients.

25. socialdistortion

socialdistortion Registered Member

Avira webguard does not scan traffic of Firefox 4 beta 5

Has anyone noticed that Avira webguard does not scan traffic of Firefox 4 beta 5. I checked and double checked. It scans normally for IE 8.

I have win 7 64 bit.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.