Avira+Vista64= tears

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by joffy, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joffy

joffy Registered Member

My KIS 2009 is up for renewal soon so I thought I'd try a new security setup.
    Browsing these wonderful forums I decided to try Look n Stop for the firewall.

Installed the trial, worked fine. Next I installed Avira Prem trial... rebooted, lost internet connection! Rebooted/reset router, cleared DNS, no joy and a network diagnosis/repair showed no problems.

Uninstalled Avira, still no net connection o_O
    So had to do a system restore to get back online.

I uninstalled KIS 2009 beforehand, rebooted, ran ccleaner, so what's causing the problem?

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Very much doubt that it's Avira. Either left-over KIS drivers, or the LnS firewall. Either way, see this post on troubleshooting stale driver entries.

3. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Thanks. I did notice that Windows security centre was saying KIS was still providing malware protection etc. o_O

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My guess would be it has something to do with your previous KAV/KIS install. I have run Avira here on Vista x64 without any issues at all, so I know it works well with x64. I have also seen something like your problem mentioned in relation to an uninstalled KIS setup by someone else before too.. Sorry though, I don't know what the cure is...

5. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Just tried again. KIS seemed to uninstall ok, tried Avira with no software firewall running and still it killed my connection.

In both Firefox and IE7 I just get a blank white browser window with "Done" status bottom left as if the page loaded ok.

o_O o_O o_O o_O

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive had some pretty terrible experiences with uninstalling kaspersky products, maybe its just for me, but to me its becoming like how norton used to be, leaving **** everywer after uninstall and causing havoc on my system.

7. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I'm going to give it one more go, if still a problem it's format drive time! :cool:

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

tbh with my past experiences with kaspersky, ull probly want to format even if it does work...

9. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Avira/Comodo on x64 vista, no problems at all. And yes, when I uninstalled KIS '07, I reformatted just to make sure. KIS might protect well, but IMHO it's more intrusive/invasive/unfriendly than Norton's used to be.

10. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Now have a nice clean Vista install and Avira now works! Thanks for the tips.
    Gonna try Outpost Pro with it now and hope it plays nice. ;)

UPDATE: Outpost seems to make my system lag. Vista64, 4gb ram.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.