Avira Updater Wont Run!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The_Duality, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Hi again everyone,

I recently purchased a new notebook for my Uni studies (running Windows Vista), and of course, the first thing I did was update and secure it. However, when I went to install Avira Free, I got "installation failed" during setup - even though the setup appeared to complete successfully. (Strangely, Avast did the same...)

My problem is that now, the Avast updater wont even run. I set it to always run with Admin rights, and I disabled UAC... still with no luck. Have any of you had the same problems? The installer literally wont even start.

Gonna go and post this on the Avira forums as well, but I wanted to ask around here first, you all seem to be knowledgeable folks ;):thumb:

Cheers, Matt

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Matt,

If I am understanding correctly you are attempting to run both Avira and Avast on one machine. If that is true, in almost all cases two AVs will conflict.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. The_Duality

Sorry, that was just a rubbish sentence order on my part. :p

I tried to install avira, and when the updater wouldnt work, I tried avast. :)

Consequently, the English NOD32 installer i downloaded had part of it written in slovakian for some reason o_O

But anyway, whenever I try and run the updater, nothing happens at all. No error, and nothing in my event viewer logs. :doubt:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I just tried it on a PC with The Suite and just the AV and he is correct. On installation the updater does nothing.:'(

5. The_Duality

ooooer, then something is very wrong o_O

6. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

I had a similar problem -WinXP though-. Turned out that Antivir Scheduler service (sched.exe) wasn't running for some reason.
    Other suggestions (although I'm _not_ well versed in Vista) is to make sure the service is running, and the firewall is setup properly to allow outbound connections.

7. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

This is true that the scheduler is not very user friendly on Avira.

8. The_Duality

Meh, I removed NOD from my home PC, and stuck it on my laptop instead. Im only taking my laptop to uni, so it doesnt bother me. Im all sorted now. Well, I would be, if the NOD installer I downloaded hadnt been partly in another language! :doubt:

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

runs fine if you reformat your PC.

WARNING!!! Quit trying to tweak Vista. We screw up more then you know even if the advice comes from so called experts. Then we want to blame the vendors. Aviras suite is running like a piece of cake now.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I also had a lot of trouble with Antivirs updater on my Vista PC, and eventually gave up on it.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running Avira Premium and the updater runs every three hours like clock work. Never had a problem with it.

bigc

12. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

There are differences to the Free updater and the Premium updater at the moment, whereas the Free updater Queues untill it finds an available transfer spot, whereas the Premium updater Conects to the Servers immediately. In most cases the free updater can take a few hours to actually update your AV, sometimes there will be no update download slots available. At present I have no Idea if they are going to fix this :ninja:

14. berng

berng Registered Member

Oh, you're back to Avira. Changed your icon, again!!! :D

You had to reformat and rebuild your PC to get Vista to run Avira? Its scary when someone with your experience needs to fix Vista by reformatting. Do you any any clue what caused the failure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.