Avira suite or Nod32 + Firewall?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by light50, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. light50

light50 Registered Member

Hi guys,

i'm searching for an antivirus for my laptop, and the choice is between avira and nod, since i couldn't find a trial version for avira i thought of asking some users here about their experience. Are there any big differences between the 2 av mostly regarding detection and cleaning? I also need a firewall and couldn't find anything on avira so don't know which one to choose.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my vote goes for nod32 here.

http://www.free-av.com/

thats the free version of avira, lacks spyware scan and email scan and has a popup thing, but you should still see what the program is like.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

4. light50

i am trying it now.. both are light and according to av-comparatives have great heuristic detection, what are your opinions when it comes to deleting virii? i also don't know what to do about the firewall, anyone using the avira one?

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira, better detection and protection.:)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESET Smart Security

I'm sure if you try it , you'll be impressed . Starts 02 April :thumb: ;)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, adding firewall and antispam and a nice GUI, looks promising ;)

more promising that the latest beta avira suite thats for sure.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Looks can be deceiving.;)

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Everything is better in the new product

10. light50

guess i'll wait a bit then and keep the trial till the beta comes out, hope it is stable enough to run on my machine. I like avira so far but i'll be able to compare(sort of) both suites in a few days time

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I am using just the AV now, I did try the suite during the last beta test. The firewall ran well, and was not overly obtrusive. I liked the suite, but am not trialing it now as I don't want to remove my firewall, LnS.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well check back with you again tomorrow. ;) :D

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would always prefer to trial an application when I can. However, if the choice is as the subject, I would prefer Avira suite over NOD + firewall.

My own preferences run toward the better detection rates. So if the Avira suite ran well that would be my preference. I trust AV Comparatives and it is clear that Avira has the better on-demand detection rates, and is close to NOD in the Proactive tests, although it had more FPs.

Each will have to make his own decision based upon the most important characteristics. I like NOD, and would be satisfied with it, but if Avira runs well that would be my own choice.

Best,
    Jerry

14. light50

I like both, but currently i have some problems running the avira suite, it is not installing the firewall and mail guard can't start. At first i thought it was because i am running the demo version but on their forums i found there are many with similar problems and can't fix it yet. I will still wait for eset smart security beta and compare both.. in the meantime later today i'll try and search avira's forums for a solution.

With both having good detection rates it all boils down to stability and their respective firewalls.

15. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

NOD for me, plus Comodo firewall - the NOD trial is running like a dream on my main PC (only 2 more days of the trial to go).

I trialled the Avira Suite and also Personal Premium Edition - in both cases, had major problems updating signatures, which made it useless to me. Otherwise, it ran very well. If I were buying, I would not get the suite - I found the firewall rather uninformative.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  16. light50

I'll wait for eset suite, from what i'm reading in these forums it seems like its going to be a great suit. Till then i'm running nod32 ssm free and comodo firewall which seems like a nice setup

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well at least you gave it a shot and not all software is going to be perfect for everyone. But no one can fault you for your honesty.:)

18. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

Give a try to

NOD32 + OA2

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

did once, hated it. My honesty.:D

20. light50

:)

Well i used to use kaspersky, it is my favorite av for sure but it simply doesn't like my laptop for some reason. The av works fine except that sometimes startup takes about 5 mins, but kis slows down my internet badly. I may be willing to live with the delayed start up sometimes, but i can't live with both so i figured i should change.

Having said that when someone asks me for an av i always recommend kaspersky and if one day i trial it again and see it works fine i will use for sure

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh I think KAV is a great product. I dont care for KIS. Tried Nod a few weeks ago and my web loading had slowed. Actually to the point of it being worse then KIS. Hopfully that will be resolved in the suite. But with Avira, no slowness, which is important to me.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32 + Firewall...

I'm waiting to take a look at the new ESET Smart Security version... :)

23. light50

ok... it seems that kaspersky was slowing down my internet because i had ad muncher installed. Removed ad muncher and my connection is back to normal

24. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

KAV+Firewall=Happy camper :thumb: :D

25. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I recommend the Free Avira PersonalEdition Classic as an great alternative to many who are considering a free AV such as AVG Free, Avast Free, etc. I have not tried any of the licensed versions of Avira. I was considering trying a subscription version of Avira but last year when I sent several emails to them asking some questions about their English language based support and I never got a reply back. I am hoping that their support for U.S. based English based customers has improved because they have a tremendous AV product. I also like the ability to purchase five year license subscriptions instead of the normal one or two year licenses offered by most AV companies (except for Kaspersky which offers a three year license). Many reviews on the Avira suite have been mixed and the AV component is great but supposedly the firewall component of it is going to be improved. The Avira Personal Premium AV product has been rated as having some of the best detection rates similar to the other top rated AV programs such as NOD32 and KAV.

-Right now I would recommend NOD32 + Firewall (ZAP or other top rated firewall). This is the premium security combination but unless you choose a free firewall (ZA Free, Comodo, etc.) the drawback to this option is the cost of multiple licenses. Adding some extra anti-spyware protection would also be recommended.

-Read more comments from the current users who use the Avira suite and if the firewall (configuration and options) in the Avira suite improves then this would become a very good all in one solution. If the advanced firewall portion of a security suite is not a critical component for you then the current Avira suite might be fine for your system.

-Consider the other security suite options such as the future NOD32 Smart Security suite or the new version of ZASS v7 with the KAV engine which is what I also use on my second computer (notebook system).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.