Avira subscription running out in 7 days...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

and the renew price for a year is 26 dollars, what the heck!! I could of sworn I payed less than that the first time I bought it, and what's that for a renew price, doesn't supposed to be a good cheaper deal...I feel bewildered, confused, taken a dump on, buzzed at the same time!!o_O

2. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

$26 dollars is ridiculous, it should be free ey

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why don't you try the free version instead?

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Depends on which version you are renewing, That's about right for the suite I think.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Your renewal is actually $20.00 but you have to pay an additional $6 to the Auerbach Foundation. Thats really not a bad renewal price compared to many of the others. The Suites renewal is $47 plus $6 to the aforementioned fund...

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Avira is german. In Euros it's €19.95, that's probably why you remember a lower figure. With the dollar going down, that's how you end up with $26... Once it was 19.95$ too.

It's odd though that they make you pay the full price and you don't get a discount for being already a customer...

Anyway, as someone noted, you could use the free version. Possibly then wait for a discount/promo price on Avira Premium and jump in the paid wagon again.

P.S.: Aaaaah, it's posts like this that make me happy about my lifetime Twister license. :D :D :D Thanks for reminding me.

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Hopefully your lifetime license pans out better than my Ewido and BOClean licenses did.....:rolleyes: :eek: :D

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well, you could sell pencils on a street corner and R3XNebular could bring his guitar. Perhaps together you could raise the necessary funds.;)

9. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

That just might work...

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I wouldn't mind seeing some special promotionals for several of the better AVs. I have been out of the loop for awhile, but I seem to recall there were more a couple of years ago than now.o_O
    Regards,
    Jerry

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Q. How can I get a nice discount for the Premium version?
    A. PM me ;)

12. Fuzzfas

I hope so too. But, look, i 've been running Twister's license since May 2008. So, i have already completed a year with it and i am in the second. After having paid about 25 euros... Had i bought Norton, i would have paid th double amount for 1 year. Considering that Twister only lately registered to the chinese ministry of commerce as a company, opened offices in Peking trading center and started a little pubblicity, chances are , i will be covering a 2nd year. So, ok, let's suppose that all goes bad and fails after 2 years. So, i will have spent 25 euros for 2 years license. For my standards, that's not bad. One can argue that i don't get top protection. But well, i am still malware free... There are so many other ways to prevent malware... I keep the AV for psychological reasons mainly. So... who cares. It's decent enough for me. If i didn't have Twister, for me, for an AV, it would either be a freebie or a heavily discounted payware. Otherwise, i don't believe in paying wild annual fees for something that hasn't saved me for years.

13. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

To be honest there really isn't a need to pay for protection these days, home user wise.

Free Firewall - Comodo/Online Armor
    Free AV - Avira/MSE
    Free V-browsing - SandboxIE

:D

14. Fuzzfas

True. It's been like this for many years now (i have been using AVG Free and Avast Home before Twister).

Between free programs and "lifetime licenses" (that can cover you usually for at least 2 years), there is no NEED to pay annual fees (and those "renew now" emails, aren't they stressful?).

Things are different if you have plenty of money to spend every year in programs or want professional support or you simply want to "reward"/support developers.

You have free:

AVG Free, Avira Free, Avast Home, Rising Free, Outpost Firewall Free, Online Armor Free, Comodo IS Free, ZA Free, Sunbelt Firewall free, PC Tools Firewall Free, Sandboxie free, Returnil Personal Free, Threatfire free, WinPatrol Free, A Squared Free, SAS Free, Process Guard Free.

And probably more that i forget.

I personally use a combo of free and "lifetime" licenses (i have Twister, Shadow Defender, WinPatrol Plus, Sandboxie Pro, Outpost Firewall). The "lifetime" ones should be good for a 2-3 year period at the least. Maybe when i will be older and earn more money i will be happy to pay annual renewals. But for now, i see it as wasted money. Maybe 1 year licenses are worth if you really want a program and you find it discounted.

15. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Please don't let me go ape sh*t on this forum for nothing...

16. elapsed

Both of your posts are completely inappropriate for this thread.

"Buy Norton", trjam, wtf is that? Every post here has been expressive and informative until your two words. You didn't even bother to give a reason behind your statement. Just nonsense blurting.

disinter1, lay off the hate, Symantec has made quite the comeback lately.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

sorry mom, post deleted.

18. elapsed

:rolleyes: All you needed to do was explain yourself

19. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I didn't mean any hate, I respect trjam and all of his multiple program personalities. But should I really go free Avira, I mean that's why I paid for the premium so I wouldn't have to deal with the ache and pains, plus I wanted the http scanner...might as well just waste $26, I thought renew prices were better...for real.:(

20. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Very good advice. I would also add Avast Home as a free alternative to the above mentioned. If using comodo, layoff the AV and keep the FW and Hips.

Ice

21. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Believe me I understand, the longer they keep going then the longer your license keeps paying off and as long as the detection and protection are good its a win-win for you...cheers..:cool:

22. Fuzzfas

Exactly. Twister is a sort of high risk investment. The bigger the risk, the bigger the gain.

- Filseclab may fail and close. But that was actually more probable in May 2008, than now. Because now they have registered themselves as company, new offices, they will make new firewall too, so, it doesn't sound like they plan in imminent failure.

- Someone else may buy it. But it's still too young and unknown to attract the attention of a bigger fish.

- It may become total crap in protection. This in the short term future is IMHO more probable than the previous 2 possibilities, but the new version is supposed to have enhancements, so i wouldn't think so really. Already now it's not stellar in detection, but i don't NEED the detection championship to stay malware-free. I hardly see malware. So, in most test today, it beats PC-Cillin regularly. Considering thousands of people pay annually for PC Cillin, that's good enough for me.

The way i see it, after i complete the 2nd year with it, my investment will have been successful. More than 2 years, it will become an AWESOME investment. I hope it becomes China's Norton one day. Then i will consider it my best software investment, EVER! :D

China is a rising power. And Twister is a rising power within the rising power. So, i think my investment will pay off. Oh, yes, i do :)))

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For as long as I can remember Avira hasn't offered a reduced price for renewing. They may be the only av company that doesn't offer a cheaper renew rate.
    If Premium has what you want, go for the renewal.

24. Fuzzfas

True. To be honest, 26$ for a top tier AV, isn't that much, even without a discounted price for renewal.

25. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I agree absolutely that $26 isn't a lot to ask for AntiVir Premium. I try out a vast amount of security software, and always return to Avira. It's proven its worth to me on numerous occasions as a malware first responder. It's back on my main rig now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.