Avira Scan from Thumbdrive?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

On another forum the statement was made that "Antivir can be run portable, just install to the usb drive."
    I am not sure whether the flash drive was a U3 or not.

Can Avira be downloaded to a thumbdrive/flashdrive not a U3, and run from there without installing it on the computer being scanned?

I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry Mods.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am also interested to know this( or more precisely any free AV than can run and scan from a USB drive).

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

To install antivir to a thumbdrive, just select the thumbdrives locations as the install point. Then you will have a full working av including on-access scanner :thumb: The only problem is that it leaves some registry entries in the machine, but I can live with that.

edit
    see here for a little more info.
    edit

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Alphalutra1,

Thanks a lot for the information. That could be a big help when trying to fix problems caused by viruses on someone else's machne.

Best,
    Jerry

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

which machine, The one u used to install it in thumbdrive or the one being scanned by it latter.
    Also when updated, the update will be instlled each time on the stick as well or it will just remain in memory?
    Thanks.

6. Alphalutra1

It will leave registry traces in all the machines it is plugged into and the update will be downloaded to the usb stick. Also, just to remind you guys that antivir on a usb stick is a full fledged antivirus meaning it can do on-access and on-demand scanning ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Will CCleaner remove the traces?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. Alphalutra1

I am not sure, but I personally don't see it as much of a problem. All the person could see from the registry traces if they actually found them, is that someone used antivir on their machine. The best option would be to use some kind of registry wrapper that knows the entries added then saves them to a file on the usb drive and then deletes them from the registry when the application closes, like those found in many u3 applications. Then upon insertion to a new pc, the registry info is reset from the last saved entries. I know that portable thunderbird uses a registry wrapper and many other u3 applications do, but I have no clue on how to implement one. You may want to search on scroogle to find out any more info.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Alphalutra1,

Thanks, I am never sure whether traces are harmful or not. I do not know enough to understand most of your post, but I am just going to use CCleaner and ignore what it doesn't get unless I have problems.

Thanks for the replies, and I am glad to be able to run Avira from the flashdrive.

Best,
    Jerry

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

They should not be harmful just extra reg enteries like remnants after some software uninstall I think but I am not an expert here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.