Avira & SAS combo

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zimean, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimean

Zimean Registered Member

Hi guyz. i m new here. i hav been using KIS for the
    past 1 month..since then my system was very slow ..KIS is a
    resource hog ..i hav a 1Gb ram and it is taking almost 50% of it.

so i hav decided to change my security setup. i m looking forward to
    buy AVIRA antivir premium & Superantispyware pro.

i would like to know whether this combo works good or should i add
    any other firewall like comodo.but i dont want programs using more resources.

looking forward for ur suggestions..Thank u:)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you already have a router with firewall then you dont need a software firewall (unless you want the outgoing protection).

As for that combo, it is fine but I would not get SAS Pro. Just using the free version for ondemand scans should be enough.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've been using Avira PE Premium + SAS Pro w/ real-time enabled for 6 months without any issues to report. There is very little impact on system performance, and SAS offers a nice overlap with Avira's spyware detection capabilities. I also feel that $19.95 for SAS Pro is a small price to pay for lifetime updates, leading detection/removal, and some of the best support in the industry. Real-time is also a nice plus. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198524&highlight=superantispyware

4. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Zimean, I've experienced browsing slowdowns with KIS, but with regards to resource utilization what you're seeing is surprising -- Its pretty lean and mean. Are you running a startup scan of some sort that is possibly running long?

I'd check with the folks at Kaspersky's Forums. They have some serious brains over there and can fix most problems. Not every AV works for everyone, but before you pick another one up, I'd try to get the one you paid for working -- Just my opinion!

Good luck!

5. Zimean

Zimean Registered Member

First of all..thanx for ur replies.

@ WSFuser: i dont hav a router with firewall.. i dont know much
    about outgoing protection. But i use p2p programs [not public trackers..].
    do i really need a firewall ? i hav windows firewall enabled.

@ Hangetsu :what i m saying is true. it almost crashed my system. one example is my computer became slow enough down copy files from one folder to another folder.i havent enabled any startup scans. i hav uninstalled it and now everything is fine

6. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

No no, I believe you -- I'm just saying that's not a "normal" behavior, and might be something fixable with the right people looking into it. Check out their forums, they are really good - Assuming you still want to stay with the product.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The Windows Firewall is fine; you just didnt mention it in your first post.

8. PcBorg

PcBorg Registered Member

I have been running the two... work together perfectly...

9. Bioxide02

Bioxide02 Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware does an excelent job running next to other programs. I have no regrets with SAS, you should really look into them.

10. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Another vote for SAS. I trialed Avira and had SAS pro running along with it with no problems. The windows firewall will do you OK unless you want tighter control and oubound monitoring. All I use is Windows firewall along with a router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.