avira problem with malware defender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by john23, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john23

john23 Registered Member

hello,

i have tried downloading torchsoft malware defender from many websites including the publishers website. everytime i click download avira denies access.

the popup alert from avira said something like "DNS Changer"

could this be a false positive?

fyi, i use avira personal edition 9.

thanks,
    john

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

John,

Are you trying to access Malware Defender at http://www.torchsoft.com/? I've just accessed the site without any problems using F-Secure 2010. I've also been there many times using NOD32 before I switched AVs.

You may be infected by the DNS Changer trojan which is redirecting you to a malicious website instead of www.torchsoft.com. There's a writeup about it at http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dnschang.shtml. If the trojan is also preventing you from accessing the F-Secure website, you should check your Name Server registry key located at "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces". Make sure it has your Name Server's IP address for the value data. You could use the OpenDNS IP address of 208.67.220.220 also.

I wouldn't download the software from anywhere else than the torchsoft website. There is a similarly named malware out there that has popped up since Malware Defender was released, so be careful to avoid any of those rogue programs.

I think you'll also be very happy with the software. It's powerful and easy to configure and use. Xiaolin's support is also top notch. If you search the Wilders "other anti-malware software" forum you'll find several posts there. ;)

Hope this helps.

Darrell

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi John. I just downloaded the software from the publishers site without incident. I'm with the default avira settings but I tried also with everything set at high detection, no probs as well. I'd say either you have been messing around with the original settings or you may be infected as Darrell said above.

By the way, how come you get a popup alert without having the webguard module (I'm not sure how the personal edition works).

4. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

the personal can deny access to a website, if it detects a bad script or malware or anything im pretty sure.

5. john23

john23 Registered Member

thank you Darrell & MacStorm!!

I tried downloading the file from my friends computer and was able to do so without any problems.

i guess my computer is infected :(

i will try changing the dns server address and let you know. will either use open dns or secure dns from comodo.

thank you for your help!!

best,
    john

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You're very welcome. I'm glad that we were able to help you. You might want to try one of the bootable rescue CDs from Avira or F-Secure to clean your computer. They both have the ability to update their virus definitions from the internet. Best of luck.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

By just clicking an infected link? That would make webguard kinda redundant in premium version (except for the added protection against malicious I-Frames):

From your words, I don't want to think that the "personal version" is acting in the same way as the premium with webguard..

Excuse the off-topic. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.